Mudskipper

squidg

Small Fish
Jan 10, 2010
I have fallen in love with a mudskipper in my local fish shop, I have a 20ltr tank spare that i can put him in, but before i go back to collect him, I was wondering what i need to do as in

what water does he need? tropical or salt?
What does he eat?
How do i set up a tank for him? sand? stones? gravel?
What will I need? heater? filter?
How deep does the water need to be?
What things i need to put in his tank to make the water right?

just need help to set the tank up. and I need help soon as i have him reserved for a few days to decided if i can keep him or not.

thank you for any help.*SUPERSMIL*thumbsups

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
a 20liter tank is not sufficient... They need at least 20G each! I beleive they are brackish. I personally, would feed live, but frozen bloodworms would probably work. All tanks need a filter and a heater imo! Set up his tank part land and part water (paludarium... refer to my siggie if you don't know what that is, lol) To make his water "right" (not sure what you mean by this..?) would be water conditioner, but it depends on your water.

Oct 29, 2010
Hello! What an interesting fish! I just did a little research to learn about them, and I recommend you do the same. :D

Not many types of mudskippers can live in a 5 gallon (20ltr) tank: however, if your fish is an Indian dwarf mudskipper, Periophthalmus novemradiatus , he will only grow to be two inches in length and may be okay.

These are some really cool sites to learn about these fish: You'll need a much larger tank, as ValRasbora said, if you wish to keep a different variety :)

Best of luck!

Mudskipper, Periophthalmus argentilineatus Profile, with care, maintenance requirements and breeding information for your tropical fish

(5c) Mudskippers (Periophthalmus and Boleophthalmus)

Aquaria Central > FAQs > Brackishwater (scroll down a little here)

squidg

Small Fish
Jan 10, 2010
im not sure what type of mudskipper he is. I will do lots of research on him and what i need for him. I wanted to know if he was fresh water or salt water fish? If salt water how to do you set that up as i have freshwater at the moment, I may have to get a lager tank. I say its 20ltr tank that i have but it could be 25ltr.
thank you for your replies.

Oct 29, 2010
I'm pretty sure they're all brackish, like ValRasbora said. There's a whole system of measuring salinity that I know nothing about, but I know that at least one of those articles mentions the amount of salt you should aim for :)

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
im not sure what type of mudskipper he is. I will do lots of research on him and what i need for him. I wanted to know if he was fresh water or salt water fish? If salt water how to do you set that up as i have freshwater at the moment, I may have to get a lager tank. I say its 20ltr tank that i have but it could be 25ltr.
thank you for your replies.
Even if it is 25 liters, you will need a bigger tank, probably a minimum of 20 gallons ( I think 20 gallons is equal to about 70 liters). They need a brackish water tank, which is pretty much a mix of salt and fresh, so I guess you could say... half salt. You will probably have to look up the specific salinity recommended for the speicies you want.