mudskipper!... hopefully.

waterguy1

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2009
I am eager to set up a new tank and thought about a mudskipper display. I was thinking I could house one of the small species like an indian mudskipper in a ten gallon tank divided in half (land and water sections) by sloping gravel from one side of the tank to the other, with the water area being about 6 in. deep. with salinity at around 0.012 ppt, I would have a heater in there along with an internal power filter. on the land side I would probably just have some driftwood or something. If I fed live foods (crickets, mealworms) and had a glass top for high humidity, would that be okay? the indian mudskippers only get to like 4 inches, right?

jingles

Medium Fish
Jan 28, 2009
Auburn, AL
Yea there max size is about 4 inches (10 cm), they'd be ok in a 10 with proper filteration but I'd only put one so they don't fight (I wouldn't put anything other than an Indian in a 10). You can also feel them goldfish..well anything really but yea live foods are best with them. I've always wanted to do a mangrove fiddler/mudskipper tank. Indian mudskippers are one of my favorite and if I didn't have my mom's betta I'd get one. I've already got the mangroves.
Good Luck

waterguy1

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2009
Yea, I would do some mangroves, but I don't wanna spend alot on lighting. And Is it possible I could put in some fiddlers with the skipper? that'd be real cool.

jingles

Medium Fish
Jan 28, 2009
Auburn, AL
Yes fiddlers a mudskippers make good tankmates. Both are territorial but mainly toward there own kind. I think they'd do well together but I have no experience keeping them together to back that up.
Mangrove's are very easy to care for IMO. So I wouldn't worry to much about the lighting anyways. The better the lightning the faster it'll grow and you really don't want to growing too fast.

waterguy1

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2009
Yea, But I bet a soil substrate would be a real pain to have, Unless you could bury the mangroves in the gravel still in their pots. would that be possible?