Moving Fish!

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Im moving to a new apartment next weekend. I need to know what I can do to hopefully not kill my fish. I wont have time to cycle the tanks because I dont have anyplace to put them. What do I do? Im only moving about 3 miles but its going to take me time to setup and take down the tanks as well so how should i preserve the fish in transport and waiting time?

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
ok well i have a 30 gallon tank with a whisper filter in it. its the one with the double spots for filters. I think its a whisper 60 then my other tank is a 10 gallon and it just has a small power filter in it as well. the 10 gallon has 3 barbs and 1 algae eater. the 30 gallon has 4 tetras (i didnt add anything else because i figured i would be moving)

I also have a 35 gallon with a red eared slider (turtle) but i think she will be fine with the water change. She just gets kinda pissy when she is out of her environment for too long.

Nice and easy, transfer your tetras to your 30 gallon,you will need to save as much of the water from your 10 gallon, to be used again.
On the first available day disconnect your filter and drain the water,then place filter in to an open plastic bag,remember the bacteria need oxygen,warmth and moisture,(not soaking wet or you will drown them).
Now drain the water into suitable containers that are clean with no traces of detergent or other nasties.
As this is a small tank you should be alright leaving the substrate in.
Disconnect all lighting etc,move to new location and reverse the procedure.
Return home for your fish when tank is back up to temp, move them to the 10 gallon and then repeat the procedure with the 30 gallon. 8)

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
ok i think i understand what you are saying. but right now the 4 tetras are in the 30 gallon and there are 3 barbs plus a algae eater in the 10 gallon. is it ok to put the barbs and tetras together while i get things moved?

R

ronrca

Just a helpful tip is not to wash/clean/replace anything. Keep all the water especially. If you have a 5 gallon pail with a lid, dump some water it from the tank and put some decorations in it. You can even put some fish in. When moving the fish, it is best to keep them dark by wrapping a dark blanket around the pail. They are less stressed by it. The fish can live in a pail from quite a few hours if need be. Green Tiger Barbs are fine with Neons if they are about the same size. I have 5 tigers together with 10 neons in a 10G and no problems.

R

ronrca

Yum! Im sure your barbs like fresh meat! LoL ;D
It might be a good idea to keep them seperate.