Moor lost scales on both sides!!

Sep 8, 2005
:confused: I noticed last night one of my Moors lost his scales on both sides of his body and a few near his eye. They look like they were scraped off. I am thinking he got stuck behind the castle chasing a pea and pushed his way out causing brush burns on his sides . He seems OK but i am concerned regarding the scale loss. I have already added stress coat and yesterday was water change day. Should i add melafix or wait to see? Poor Mars!!! Will they grow back? My husband says they will. I never had a goldfish lose scales before. Any input would be appreciated.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
OUCH!!!! :( Poor guy.... Do add some Melafix -- follow the directions. It looks like an injury, which begs the question, how did he get those EYES past the ornament and get the BODY stuck? LOL oy.... The scales should grow back as long as the skin isn't scarred too deeply. Keep the water absolutely pristine as he heals so he doesn't get any secondary infections. Good luck!

Sep 8, 2005
Thanks Seleya! I wanted to make sure the melafix would not burn his poor scaleless body. Should i remove the snails? He did lose scales on his left eye. Looks like he backed out. I removed the castle. I hope he is okay. I love the little guy. He is just a baby.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Melafix should be fine, just keep to the dosage and regiment. Sorry about your moore... I had a Rynkin die on me when it got stuck on the intake of a powerhead while I was away for the weekend. It was a horrible, horrible feeling I got when I got back home. Poor fellow.

I'm betting your Mars will be fine, most goldies recover well from scale loss... even severe ones.

Nov 9, 2005
Washington
I can't tell in the picture but it kind of looks like the scales just had the color "scraped" off them. Is that possible? I think the scales will grow back but you should keep an eye on the Moor for a little while. My fantails will sometimes loose a few scales here or there but I think they all grew back...

Goodluck!
-Xan