Jul 31, 2016
I have a molly that has seemed amazingly healthy. She has seemed pregnant a couple of times in the few months that she has been in the tank. Recently, we have noticed a couple of problems with her. She appears to have flaky/missing scales on the top of her head. Additionally, she has recently started to go through periods of swimming vertically as opposed to horizontally. Any thoughts or ideas about what could be causing any of this, and what can be done to fix it?

38 gallon tank
Only 3 Mollies in the tank
Tank has been running since March
ph is in the normal range (about 7.2)
Ammonia is 0 ppm
Nitrite is .25 ppm
Nitrate seems to be off the charts...I've recently done some water changes, gravel clean out to try and remedy this problem. I will be testing it again in the near future to determine if my changes have been successful.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2016
Anyone have any thoughts?

She seems to be a little better. She has not been swimming vertically as much recently. She also still seems to have something wrong with the scales on the top of her head.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
i think any physical issues with the molly will take some time to heal. but if you continue with the water changes, you'll give the molly the best chance to recover by the improved water conditions.

how are the nitrates level now?