Molly Breeding

Slacker

Large Fish
Mar 12, 2003
Texas.
Visit site
I just bought two Mollies, but I have a few questions I hope some of you might be able to answer.

One: Are mollies and platy's different? If so, how?

Two: The silver, blue-ish chromatic (male) has a beautiful crescent moon shaped tail, the black one (the female) has no distinctive features and is fully black. Will they breed?

Three: For them to breed is there anything I can do to speed the process, and anything I should look for if they are going to (or have) mated?

1. Mollies and Platies are two different species, they look different and have different genetic DNA, but doens't everything, LOL, they are different species, so that's why there different, just like monekys and chimpanzees arne't the same thing or great white sharks and tiger sharks see?

2. Yes mollies will breed they just look different

3. feed them better foods, LIVE adn FROZEN brine shrimp, raise the tempature of the aquarium to about 80-82 Degrees F. Put salt in the aquairum (aquairum salt). PH at about 7-8
That's all i know of, if you want more babies buy like 2 mroe females

Slacker

Large Fish
Mar 12, 2003
Texas.
Visit site
Funny, im already doing that. The tanks diet is a staple of flakes and frozen brine. The mollies nibble at leftover frog bites that he wouldnt or wont eat. So theyre well fd and I think they bred yesterday.

Slacker

Large Fish
Mar 12, 2003
Texas.
Visit site
Hehehehehe, I guess so!

Male: La dee da, Oh look, leftover frog pellet!
Female: Whats that bag?
Male: Huh?
Female: Oh, nevermind, there it goes.
Male: Alrighty. Food!
Female: Food!
Male: Wait, here comes the net. What'd I do?
Female: Hey what are those? Mmm...honey? *ATTACKS!*

Coyote

Large Fish
Nov 22, 2002
Visit site
It depends on how much salt and what kind of fish. I once had two teaspoons of salt per gallon of water in my tank and it didn't bother my swordtails. (Don't try it at home though because I think too much salt might kill some of my plants)

Feb 17, 2003
california 626 area
Visit site
i have a 90 gallon tank with glowlight tetra, cardinal tetra, gourami, pleco, panda cory, guppy, danio, shrimp, oto, clown loach, and some plants. if i added salt, does it affect any of those? and how much salt should i add so it wont harm any fish or the environment? i wanted to add the salt because it assisted the breeding process of mollys?

Coyote

Large Fish
Nov 22, 2002
Visit site
Someone here recommended 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallon of water and that's what I'm doing. Everything seems fine in my tank. Shrimps and livebearers should be ok with salt but I don't know about tetras and clown loach.