Mollies Eating Me Out of House and Home!

Parkedout

Medium Fish
Dec 6, 2012
Well, not really- but they are doing a nasty number on my plants!

My java fern and anubia nanas are doing awesome. I also put in some watersprite, amazon swords, cabomba, and This (Acorus variegatus) I forget its common name- so I just copied off the sales receipt.

Everything in the last catagory the mollies have turned into salad! I feed them plenty but they still snack on (and thus kill) these plants. I ordered some java moss (which should reproduce faster than the fish eat it, right?).

Am I doomed to java fern only? Is there anyone out there that knows a plant that mollies don't enjoy?

Thanks in advance!

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
How big is the tank? Pretty much all the fish in my 55g pick at the plants and decor, but they haven't mangled any of the wisteria, anubias, anacharis or java fern.

I hear you on the mollies. I've got a BIG female gold lyretail molly and a small female black molly in my 55. The gold is an absolute hog.

Parkedout

Medium Fish
Dec 6, 2012
Its a 29g, and I am attempting (notice this key word! LOL) to have a heavily planted tank but they won't leave the plants alone! There are also neons in there- they don't seem to bother the plants. I am thinking about starting a new tank (MTS! lol) and rehoming the mollies and the gourami into it and just having nice peaceful (non plant eating!) tetras in this one.

Its enough to drive you nuts! I originally got the watersprite for the mollies, in case they had fry they could hid in it, its so thick. I didn't realize how big of an appetite they had! LOL

Feb 27, 2009
Mollies (along with most fish), will eat decaying plants. The reason for the plants decaying must be found.

Acorus variegatus is not aquatic, and will only rot in an aquarium over time.

Not sure what Cabomba species you have, but all ARE aquatic.

Most swords are aquatic.

Plants that are aquatic sometimes can also be grown emerged (above water) also. Plant growers do this as it allows for faster growth (access to CO2 is an important factor in plant growth rate). When the plant is later submerged, it takes time for the plant to regrow the proper type of leaves to survive underwater. Often, the leaves that were growing above the water level will die, and new (aquatic) leaves will grow to take their place. Most fish will eat the decaying leaves.

Parkedout

Medium Fish
Dec 6, 2012
Well that keeps me from having visions of frying up the little darlings.

I have a lowtech tank here- no CO2. I do use root tabs, and the light is about 2 wpg. I may have too much light going. I am researching now, been reading at the plantedtank.somthing all afternoon and will do what I can, but I am ok with just the anubias and java ferns, but would love to see if I can 'fix' this tanks issues.

Do you mind helping me with this OC? I'm willing to learn! :)

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Parkedout, are your plants doing OK w/out some sort of carbon additive? I know root tabs typically supply iron, potassium, etc, but AFAIK, a carbon source is still a must. What type of lighting do you have? T5, LED?