Mollies acclimated to Salt Water

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I thought some of the folks here might want to see a pic of my pregnant Molly that I acclimated to SW. Its not the best pic. I was trying to get a photo of the dark fish in the background (Yellow Eye Kole Tang) when the Molly swam by so I snapped a shot. The blue fish is a Yellow tail Blue Damsel.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Is that molly pg or is it a balloon molly? I don't believe I ever saw any of mine get that "blown up" looking. I have two rather small bumble bee platies that never look pg and I have had them for a couple of months now. Every few days I will notice a couple of more fry. like maybe 1 -3 at a time. There is a good size betta in there, who may be getting a few, but so far I have 3 that have gotten too big for him to eat and a couple of others that are still working at it.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
They are regular Mollies. She is PG and getting very close to popping out some food for the 150G. I hope a couple females make it. I have some VERY porous rock for them to hide so maybe a couple will not get eaten. If not thats fine to as they are intended to be food anyway.

Dec 14, 2011
WI
Will the babies automatically be acclimated to the salt? And also, if you ever get the time, could you list the steps you take to acclimate them? I think this is just the coolest thing and I want to do it sometime.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
The babies are just fine with it as the Momma Molly has passed this salt deal to them already.
I started out with a 10G tank with FW first. Then every day twice a day I took about a quart of water out and added a table spoon of Instant Ocean salt mix to it. I then took this solution and dripped it in via my SW drip dosing hose. You can just add a couple ounces every few minutes as well if not equipped with a drip hose.
When I did weekly water changes I mixed the waters salinity to .02 more every week. After a couple weeks you will have Mollies acclimated to SW.

Feb 27, 2009
I used sailfin mollies. I did have to rehome some of the fry that made it to adulthood, as the reef offered lots of hiding places and too many were survinving to adulthood.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I thought some might survive and I would just make them Oscar and JD food. They are easy to catch at feeding time if you skip the morning feeding. I would like to spend some more money on the better looking Mollies like the sailfins you mention. I would like the Black or Golden sailfin, I have Dalmatian and Platinum ones now, they were the 99 cent MUTTS.

Feb 27, 2009
The jet black sailfins are beautiful under the SW lighting. They take on a blue-green sheen as they dart around. And you are right, its easy to catch any extras at feeding time!

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I bet they would great under my LED, the Dalmatians have a greenish speckle to them under the LED. I have retro fitted only the right side of my tank with LED so the fixture on the other side is dual florescent still, and the difference is remarkable. I cant wait to see the Black one when I get it.