MM Platy pregnancy a demise?

Dawn M

New Fish
Feb 21, 2012
Hi! I'm not sure how to handle this as I haven't had a fish tank in about 16 years and I've never been a part of a forum before. Anyway, I'm pretty positive my Mickey Mouse platy is pregnant. She looks square to me, there has been a white tube at the edge of her square (not sure what the area is called), I see black eyes, and black around the edge of her belly, the other night she was laying in the rocks at the bottom and has been very unsocial. My problem is that over the last week she hasn't gotten any bigger or more square and I don't see anymore black. Is it possible she has had a miscarriage and just not aborted the fry yet? Thank you! P.s. I have pics if needed.

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Pics would definitely be helpful. Also, what is your set-up? Who are the tank mates? What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates?) What are the temps? How long has the tank been running? How long have you had the fish?
She may have had the fry and they got eaten. She may not have been pregnant, or that far along. More concerning is her behavior. Are the other fish also sitting around the bottom? That could be an indication of poor water quality. I'm sorry if I'm going over stuff you already know and watch out for, but those are the most common things to look at that may cause issues with fish.

Last edited: