Minimum requirements for a pufferfish

Jul 15, 2003
Kentucky
Visit site
I was in my lfs earlier today and noticed a tank simply labeled "pufferfish". I fell in love with one of them, but I know/knew absolutely nothing about them. After doing some research, I narrowed the kind down to either Green Puffer or Spotted Green Puffer, both of which grow up to 6", but have different requirements. The lfs couldn't tell me for sure what kind they were. I read how to tell them apart, so hopefully that won't be a problem. What I need to know is what kind of environment they like. Can 1 be happy by itself? If so, could I keep it in a 5 gal tank till I can upgrade to something larger? Will they eat freeze dried food (it is impossible to get live or frozen where I live). Is there anything I need to be aware of before I go buy this fish?

Jul 30, 2003
College Station, TX
Visit site
I've never had one eat freeze dried. I've had them eat flake after seeing my other fish eat it, but they can't survive on that. You need at least a 20 gallon, preferably a 29 in my opinion for either of these. If you make your specific gravity about 1.010 1.012, you should do fine with either of these fish. A single puffer would be plenty happy by itself.

CoNMaN

Large Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Visit site