Mikrogeophagus ramirezi (German Blue Ram)

Feb 27, 2009
After trying (and failing) to find the Mikrogeophagus ramirezi (German Blue Ram) locally, I may mail-order them. Locally, three stores have not been able to get them in. A 4th 'mom/pop' store I tried did have them, but they, and several other tanks of fish, had full-blown ich. When I pointed this out to the owner, he said 'ok' and just walked away. I hung around the tanks a little longer, and saw him net out several fish from one of the ich-infested tanks to sell to a customer.

The same store has at least a dozen tanks, all filtered together, of live plants. When they opened, it was a beautiful display of plants. But, they all have been infested with cyanobacteria for weeks now. I'm not in the market for new plants currently, but would not risk those plants. When I asked what they were doing to get rid of it, they said it will 'go away' on its own. I also saw employees cleaning and planting new plants in these tanks, then putting their hands/arms into other tanks. This stuff so easily spreads. Yikes.

I will place an order with Wet Spot Tropical Fish if nothing comes up locally this weekend. I've bought fish from them many times in the past, and have always been pleased with the health of the fish. I just hate having to chase down shipments. Maybe I'm just fussy, but I like to get my fish as soon as they arrive, and that means a day or two off work to work out the details.

I need to find out the water parameters (pH, KH, GH) they've been kept in out in Oregon so I can match it here locally. Setting up the 20gallon long for them this weekend. I'll post pics as I build this (more for my own journal, but others may be interested too).

I'll get 6 juvies, and see if I can get a pair out of them. A local fish store (that has not been able to get them in) has agreed to buy the 'extras' if I do get a pair.

Last edited:

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Wet Spot looks like quite a store!! I just looked at their website and read their newsletter. I was unaware of their existence, but that is not surprising. Portland is a wondrous place but finding ones way around isn't my cup of tea. It is about 100 miles from here and we are usually pulling our trailer when we have to go through it. The major problem I see, though, is Powell's Bookstore. My husband would dearly love to go there if I mentioned going to a fish store and although we don't need any more aquariums, we certainly don't need any more books either and that bookstore would take all day!

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Sounds exciting to me OC. LOVE the GBRs. I've seen them in one of my LFS and most of the chains near me believe it or not.

I've often wondered how ALL the tanks in most stores don't become infected given the shared filtration. I just noticed that the new LFS by me uses shared filtration. All the racked tanks are drilled in the back and have a suction strainer up high in the back, then the return line is just a short piece of aquarium air line tubing tapped into a PCV pipe manifold. In addition to that, all the tanks have either a box bubbler or a sponge bubbler.

He also has huge tanks against the windows loaded with plants, but none of the plants look that great and they are EXPENSIVE. Ugh.