Male platy gonopodium

Aug 10, 2016
Hi there,

I'm fairly new to platies, having always kept goldfish so I apologise if this sounds weird or basic. ..

I have a male platy whose tank mate died a mysterious, unexplained death a few days ago (only had her a few days, was very small and i think probably arrived with problems). He, himself has been fine and has 4 other non-platy tank mates in a 250L tank. He swims away quite happily, always busy and hungry.

Today I was watching him getting aggressive with a bit of tubing in the tank and then flexing his gonopodium. All fine, except there was also a red fluid coming from the area.

So my question is, am I looking at blood or spawn fluid? If blood, what on earth is going on? If spawn fluid, I guess I better get more tank mates this weekend!

Platy

New Fish
Aug 7, 2016
Have any of the other fish been nipping him or attacking him? If so, he might have an injury. That is my only guess. Sorry for the late reply.

Aug 10, 2016
Have any of the other fish been nipping him or attacking him? If so, he might have an injury. That is my only guess. Sorry for the late reply.
I've seen a weather loach following him around but haven't seen it nipping him. I'll keep a closer watch for a few days. I'be added some pimafix and melafix to the tank just in case it is a wound.

Platy

New Fish
Aug 7, 2016
I don't know if this has anything to do with your fishes problem, but what is the temperature of your tank. I read somewhere that weather loaches like sub-tropical temps and platies are tropical fish so they need tropical temps. Just taking guesses. Sorry for not being more help