Male Goldfish cracked vein on dorsal fin

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
okay, i noticed the dorsal fin never came up on male, the female kinda can make it stand.

and on REAL close inspection, i now see cracked dorsal fin on my male.

Will this self-heal ? what can i do to help his dorsal fin to recover back ?

I have told you, this male may have been chasing the female goldfish for months, even when in old miracle bowl (3 gallon ). i have seen him chasing her for HOURS . i fear this might have been the result of his adventure which i really never noticed but today. cause his dorsal fin has stayed down for months.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
coulda been either malnutrition, stunting or an actual physical hit from something that made it that way. i find many store bought goldfish have imperfect dorsals.
It shouldnt impair him much, if at all.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
malnutrition? Buuwhahahahahaaaa.. He absolutely CHOMPS on food man. every day... i was always afraid he may die by overfeeding, everyone in house had habit of feeding them everyday... its just when i have this new tank, i am hovering all over them and no one feeding now.

I have to say, cracked fin injury due to playing too much with stuff ,he has habit of trying to sneak through pump or other stuff, from where orangina has gone earlier, she being a lady goes nicely around stuff, he being bulldog always has to bulldoze stuff and when failed has to retreat and go around & after orangina and he has bad habit of always staying near her.. never ever leaves her alone.

I have read, Goldies can regrow torn fins etc. but i see this top dorsal fin isnt torn or broken off completely , just a crack in vein i guess as you can see, i will see how it goes and does it completely heal back etc or not. I of course am trying to keep water is super condition regardless of anything. The water should never the cause of bad stuff there.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
malnutrition can be just feeding them flakes, but i doubt thats your issue here. its as youve said, a physical injury likely. The way i see it it may stay like that. see what happens, im sure he'll be happy either way :)