Male Black Molly Intenstines???

Dec 12, 2016
So I have a black male molly in my tank that has a thick, opaque thing hanging out of him. I've never seen anything like it. He's acting completely normal, and it was hell as usual to catch him. It's water change day and I just noticed he had this thing hanging off of him. I don't pay attention to the fish when I feed them in the morning, so I don't know when this happened today, but he definitely didn't have it hanging off him yesterday. It also looks like the scales along his belly are slightly raised and I'm not sure it they always looked like that.

First two pictures are the string object, third picture is an attempt to show the scales. Tank values under pictures.

pH:~8.3
Ammonia: inbetween 0 - 0.25 (closer to 0)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40 ppm

Tank Size: 20 long
Tank Age: set up May 2016
Tank Mates: 1 black female molly, 1 gold dust female molly, 7 guppy females, 1 male guppy, 3 assassin snails, ~7 ghost shrimp

Just added 3 of the female guppies and the 3 assassin snails Thursday Dec 8.

Any responses are greatly appreciated! I raised this guy from a fry and I love him a lot, so I'd like to help him out if I can.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Welcome and it's great to see you are doing things right!! I would shoot for closer to 20ppm nitrate, but 40 isn't the end of the world. Wish I could help with that prolapse looking situation. I'd feed lightly, up the heat and aeration, keep nitrates as low as possible with water changes and monitor. If it's a parasite type thing, or wound of some sort, this should speed it along. If it's viral, this could make things worse.

FWIW, I never had great luck with mollies. They actually do better in slightly brackish water, which I have no experience with.

Jan 21, 2017
Well I was hoped the pictures would have the thing off of him being waste. It may depends off of what you feed them. Because if its right above the place you figure there gender. So if it falls off its waste. And it will disintegrate and help build algae.