male and female bettas together?

lizwinz

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Racine, WI
still cycling........but it seems to be almost ready so i'm planning again ;D

so i'm wondering what everyone thinks about keeping male and female bettas together, i'm pretty much planning my tank around having a betta and mostly all the fish that seem to be compatible are schooling fish which is fine but i'd like to have a couple more "individual" fish as well   i was thinking of putting like 3 females in there

i have a 35 gallon hex tank with a bunch of plants (plastic of course  ;) ) and a kind of log type cave and a wood center piece that has a couple branches sticking out

so what does everyone think?  i know all fish are different but is this an especially risky thing to try?  any opinions or personal experience would be a big help in helping me decide

Lynn

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Cant say for sure....because some times it works out....sometimes it doesnt. You have a better shot of it working to get young bettas(like before the male completely fins with females the same age). Do get atleast 3 Fs to keep with 1 M. All I can say is give it a shot and see what happens. I kept 5 males and 40 females in the same tank...never bothered each other...so it could work for you. Good Luck! :)

bobrob

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Belfast, Northern Ireland
if u do get male and female make sure u have about 3 female coz if one of the females refuses to spawn with him he will try his damndest to kill her so if there are 3 he will be less likely 2 do that pretty cool fish though *twirlysmiley*

Rune

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I don't think this is such a good idea. Males will usually kill any female that doesn't want to mate with him. Which they don't, most of the time. You could try a very well planted tank with lots of girls. Just be read to remove any that are overly aggresive or really getting picked on.
If you keep the male, make sure he gets enough food at feeding time and doesn't get his fins nipped. Bettas are slower to eat than most schooling fishes.