major problem

May 8, 2011
I have a mate with a quite big black ghost knife fish and he is moving so he wants me to take care of it in my tank for 2 weeks but it is aggressive and will attack my favorite guppies and Pecos i have another tank but it is not big enough to hold the BGKF or my other fish what should i do and is there a Quick cheap solution because my mate has no one else to leave it with and i dont want him to have to sell it Help please

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
You could keep it in a big rubbermaid tub for a while. Those get pretty big and are a lot cheaper than a large tank. I'm not sure how to cycle a filter in time, but you could probably run it with a large sponge filter for two weeks. I don't know much about that fish personally, but that's how I'd rig up a large temporary tank in a pinch.

Is it possible you just go over to his place and take care of it while he's gone?

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
What type of filter does he have? Is it possible for you to do the rubbermaid tub thing, but using his filter on it?

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Not sure how strong the rubber maid tubs are as far as holding up when full. Most likely will do fine and it is a decent idea for short term and cheap. Probably should be in a spot where it will not need to be moved. The filter idea is a good one also, perhaps a sponge filter as a backup. I have been in similar situations and kept smaller fish in 5 gallon buckets for short periods of days to a week with only a bubble stone. I put some live plants in with the fish and a light on the top.

You could make a place with a large sheet of plastic in some sort of container. A large washtub or perhaps in a second bathtub. This will give a lot of volume. Would need to be very careful about making sure typical bathroom chemicals can not get into it. No where near as good an idea as the rubbermaid tub however.

What ever happens you must be a decent friend and the sort worth having.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I only say rubbermaid tub is because I know a lot of people use them as diy sumps for large tanks. I think there is some concern about then not being that strong, but I've read about people doubling them up for extra care.

The bathtub idea is pretty good if you've got one to spare, maybe lined with plastic to protect it from chemicals that might be in the tub.

And yes, you're a great friend it sounds like. I can't even get my friends to come feed my fish.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Not trying to nix the rubbermaid tub idea, just never have tried it myself. An image of the sides giving way from water pressure came to mind. Doubling them up sounds workable or perhaps a band of reinforcement tape or cord around the outside may help. Maybe not filling it all the way up?

Let us know how it works out.

Feb 27, 2009
I've used the 18 gallon and 25 gallon Rubbermaid and Sterilite totes, filed to the brim, as holding tanks for months. I wouldn't suggest moving them when full, but they hold up fine full of water.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Borrowing a good size cooler for two weeks might also work. They are a little easier to move (with help) particularly the ones with handles on both ends. He could also transport his fish in it afterwords.