Mag Floats any good?

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
..or other types of magnetic glass scrubbers? My planted 10 and 55g require a good interior glass scrubbing from time to time and I've been using one of those scrubber sponges on a plastic stick and/or an old credit card to remove algae. They work OK, just wondering if something like a mag-float is worth the cost.

Feb 27, 2009
I've used them in the past (before I kept an army of otos). They work ok, but care must be taken near the substrate, as its easy to pick up a piece of gravel or sand or even part of a snail's shell, and scratch your glass. I had more scratches with marine tanks (due to using crushed coral as substrate) than freshwater, but kept to the rule of staying away from the substrate with the magnets. The most common way for me to accidently pick up a chunk of something to cause damage is when the magnets would separate. Often, when retrieving the one that had fallen to the floor inside the tank, it would pick up something on the pad that could cause scratching. I invested in long tongs to retrieve the other magnet due to the tanks' depth (110+ gallons each), and my lack of reach (I'm only 5'3).

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
i'm not a fan of them for a couple reasons. the scratching as OC mentioned. another is i don't think the magnets provide enough pressure to clean the tank. i got one years ago and i need to run it across the same spot multiple times to get it clean where when i use a hand held sponge like a scotchbright pad or something similar i only need to make 2 passes at most. i like the handhelt better then the ones with a handle cause either way i need to put my hand in the water cause the handle don't provide enough leverage and i like to leave my lights on the tank to see how well i'm cleaning. the lights end up getting in the way. also the tanks that have hoods does not help either cause the openings are to small. with taking them off i need to take off the lighting othewise they may fall in. thats my 2 cents :p

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Great info. Thanks.

Looks like I'll stick to the arm-plunge method then. It's not too big a deal since I only have to do it every few weeks.. getting attacked by bettas and whatnot. My bettas are right there in/around my hand as I'm trying to clean. LOL.

Ex, I hear you on the lights, tops, etc. I take the fixture and versa-tops off my tanks before water changes, cleanings, etc. A pain in the arse, but it's the only way for me to reach everything easily.

OC, I have visions of you needing a snorkel for your 100+ gallon tanks.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
OC, I have visions of you needing a snorkel for your 100+ gallon tanks.
HAHA!! My smallest one was 110 gallons. I had 2 that were 220 and one that was over 500. All had sumps, which added 30-50 more gallons to the overall volume.

Whenever I grumble about doing water changes on my freshwater tanks, I just have to remember the reef tank days!

Match temperature first (heater mix barrel).
Aerating the water (pond pump in the mix barrel, to circulate the water).
Mixing in the salt to the new water to get it CLOSE to what I will need.
Dumping out the needed old salt water (which corodes ANYTHING it touches).
Taking readings on each tank for current salinity (it will rise due to water evaporation since last water change).
Figuring out the volume of water I will need to return it to the correct water level (dump out 20%, replace it with 25% or more).
Adjusting the salt again in the new water to match the tank that needs the LEAST salinity to to put that tank's salinity at the level I want it to have (figuring out the volume left vs. the volume I will add)
Doing that prior step again for the next tank with the next lowest salinity need.
Oi....

No sir, doing even a 90% water change on all freshwater tanks is far less work!!!!

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
when i tried salt in that 30 gallon i used 2 5 gallon buckets. i'd do my new water in one bucket to the salinity i wanted and then the next day i would siphon out enough water to fill the other 5 gallon bucket and replace with the other. let stand for about 5 min while all the new water mixed with the old and check salinity, it was more of a pain i will say lol.

And freshy i liek to leave my lights on the tank so i can see the glass. I will use my hand to check for missed spots. you can see those little green dots against the skin pretty well. without the lights on u can't see as well. or at least i can't. also when i do my monthly clean i usually just clean the front and sides. the backs I typically leave be. my cichlid tank has a black back and i have not cleaned the back in probably a year. can't even tell lol. my 20 there is no back to clean. my 55 planted i have not cleaned any of the glass in months. it just gets no algea. but i think thats due to the massive amount of moss i have in the tank. don't think algea get a chance to get food. as for my 30 gallon sunfish tank he is a jerk and attacks my hand and tries to jump out so i just don't deal with the back of the tank that often. and then my guppy tank i just don't care how it looks lol. the water is kept healthy of course but i just breed feeder guppies in it. it's not a pretty tank :p