Mabye a stupid idea, but I'm going to try it.

feliciae

Medium Fish
Jun 29, 2010
This is going to be a day-to-day account, so I can get help if I do something wrong. :)

I have decided to breed my bettas. I have a 5 gal tank at the moment set up for breeding, and two smaller tanks with medicated water running and ready for when the amouros couple get sick of eathother. :)
I am going to breed my betta pair, gomez and morticia.

I think I can do this. I have a sponge filter ready in a larger tank for the females when they get larger, and I know that I have adleast 200 mason jars for the males when they are larger as well. (The counter space may be a little smushed though.:D)
I talked to my LFS and they said that they would buy the betta fry from me when they began to grow their fins out, and I am thrilled.

Wish me luck!

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Sounds like fun!

Can I have one if the amouros couple is successful? I'm not a love child but I always wanted to have one!!!

feliciae

Medium Fish
Jun 29, 2010
DAY ONE

Gomez and morticia are in the 5 gal together, along with a bit of java moss for cover for her and a floating styrofoam cup for the bubble nest.

I watched them for a while and it seemed like they embraced, but it didn't produce much, just a couple of dazed fishies. :)
He is working hard on his bubble nest right now, and hopefully he can get it done before she becomes impatient!

Lol. and TAL, you can have two if you really want. ;) Lets just see if they even manage to get anything out of eathother first.

Attachments

Fishman1995

Superstar Fish
May 11, 2010
North Carolina
Il be keeping up with this cause i REALLY want to breed bettas sometime soon as well but im going to do mine in a special way. A White male and a Very colorful female. Maybe it'l end up looking like rises lipstick/eyeliner betta LOL

feliciae

Medium Fish
Jun 29, 2010
DAY TWO

Not much has happened. I placed my girl in a seperate floating container for the night because I couldn't keep tabs on them and make sure he didn't hurt her.
His bubble nest is coming along, slowly, but surley. Right now he is chasing her around the tank and working on his baby home with a newfound fevour.

I am getting ready my 20 gal tank for the babies when they get older, but it turns out that my snails have had their eggs hatch as well.
Well see if I can get them all out by the time my couple get on the ball. :)

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Ahhh ummmm well...was....going to.......speak...I mean...type but a hhhhh distracted......beauty......ful.....ummmm..........water....need water.....

feliciae

Medium Fish
Jun 29, 2010
DAY THREE

YES! Babies, at last. I placed them together this morning and they finally embraced and got some babies. It took several hours for them to finish too. She is alone now, and her fins are healing.
My boy is taking good care of the nest, it seems that whenever I glance at him he is taking care of it.
I am so excited! I keep running accross my house looking at my babies. I wonder if I can keep my snails and baby betta in the same tank without the snails getting eaten?

We will have to try or I am going to have to find another tank soon for my babies, (like, in a day and a half soon) and get it cycled and ready before they come!
WOO HOO!
Now all I have to do is finish getting my brine shrimp hatchery set up and going.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Fel...wow that was fast!

Tom...great pics and vid.

And now...back to my meltdown....

I wanna go buy a female now!

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
DAY THREEI wonder if I can keep my snails and baby betta in the same tank without the snails getting eaten?
I'd worry more about your baby bettas being eaten by the snails. Honestly, the fry aren't going to be a threat to anything unless it's smaller than them until they're MUCH MUCH bigger, and even then they probably won't bother anything else, especially not a snail.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Wow, feliciae, congrats on your bettas successfully breeding. Nice job. How are both parents doing right now? Did mumma's fins get damaged badly?
I wonder if you might be better off having a separate tank for the bettas and snails. The betta fry are just so delicate and sensitive, I'd be nervous about them with the snail babes. Not saying it can't work, just maybe less than ideal in terms of raising them healthily.