M/F bettas together in a 10

Oct 22, 2002
Irvine, CA
no experience in this matter, but from what i've heard, one will kill the other.

Also from what i've heard, the most successful betta situation is 1 male with 3 females in a heavily planted larger tank.

This is all from what i've heard from others...sorry that i don't have any personal info on the matter.

CSM

Small Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Golden, CO
Visit site
i wwas doing some research on female bettas and I came across a lady who successfully keep a male and female in a 2.5 gallon bowl. Both fish she had for quite some time. She even had pictures of the 2 fish together.

But it is widely accepted that they should not be kept together unless they are mating and after that they should be separated.

I personally would love to have a male and female together.

Mar 11, 2003
The thing is, male bettas are so territorial that even if they were in a 20 gallon with a bunch of plants, they would STILL fight. Its really not worth the risk. They will either spawn, fight, or live in fear. The only way this would work is if the female was hiding from the male successfully. And that is not living "happily"" with a male betta. I suggest a female community tank, or having only one male betta with different types of fish. While some people have done it, you must consider how many have died because of this.

Alexa

tramca

Large Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Liverpool/England
Visit site
I've set up a 10g with 5 guppies.
I just bought 2 beautiful female bettas and they seem fine in there so far. They chase each other round a bit and do the odd bit of flaring but nowt serious.
There are plenty of plants for them to hide out in if need be.
My fingers are tightly crossed as I;ve had no luck with male bettas so thought I'd give the ladies a try.

Mar 11, 2003
Yes, the girls are establishing a pecking order, or rank. They should get along pretty good, I have a female tank of my own and have had no problems with overly aggresssive girls, although there are some out there.

ksrowe8

Small Fish
Feb 1, 2003
Eagle-Vail, CO
www.myspace.com
I would say yes....if you have enough hiding space. The females are way faster than the males, as a general rule. I have 1 Male and 2 Females in a 29 gal. (So far very succesful, except when the male catches an occasional glance. Give it a try..if he is chasing to much just remove one of them. Good Luck

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
minmum 29 gallon tank, heavily planted, and at least a small school of platies or cory cats to distract the male from the females, minimum 3 females for 1 male, preferably in colors different from his so they are less likely to mate

me2

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2003
Visit site
putting a male and female together IS NOT "just like putting to males together"

putting females in with a male can work if you do it correctly however it is not a good idea to ever try to mix males in the same tank...so it is not the same AT ALL

i personally wouldnt do it a 10 gallon...i'd give them more space than that

you'd want to have plenty of places for the females (you'd want at least 3 if your going to mix a male with females) to hide if nessesary and a lot of schooling fish to distract them...so you would need a larger tank

i have 1 male and 4 females in a 35 gallon hex tank with cories, lemon tetras and rasboras and theyve been doing very well for about 7 months with no signs of trouble

keep in mind fish are individuals and you might get a super aggresive fish so if you do try to mix male and female bettas...make sure to introduce the male last and be ready to remove him if needed

--liz:)

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2003
A male betta with another betta, let it be females or males, will fight with each other. Its their nature. Unless they are ready to spawn, and you WANT to spawn, don't do it. I give you credit on the fact that its not smart. But a male betta will fight with any other betta no matter the size of the environment. Its scientifically proven. It cannot be done right. Because like I said a) they will fight b) the female will live in fear. Yes, some males are not the fighting type, but some females are. Most healthy and younger males will definately fight. The possibility of this working is extremely low. Why would you even want to endanger your fish's lives? Why would you want the females living in fear, causing her and the male unwanted stress that will lower their immune system making them suseptible to disease. WHY?! Geez, I don't know what to say other than that. How about this...Don't do it?! Did that get through okay? I hope so, for your fish's sakes.

me2

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by PreciousGems
A male betta with another betta, let it be females or males, will fight with each other. Its their nature.
not true...it can happen, but that is true when you mix ANY type of fish, even ones that are supposed to be peaceful and compatible can have problems

But a male betta will fight with any other betta no matter the size of the environment. Its scientifically proven.
i've seen it scientifically proven that two males will fight no matter the the size of their environment but not females...where did you see this?

It cannot be done right. Because like I said a) they will fight b) the female will live in fear.
it can be done right because like i said a) mine do not fight b) my girls do not live in fear, they are healthy, show no fear stripes, no signs of nipping and have the run of the tank

The possibility of this working is extremely low.
then its absolutely amazing that it worked for me on my first attempt :rolleyes:

Why would you even want to endanger your fish's lives? Why would you want the females living in fear, causing her and the male unwanted stress that will lower their immune system making them suseptible to disease.
umm lets see...i'm not...they dont...isnt happening

WHY?! Geez, I don't know what to say other than that. How about this...Don't do it?! Did that get through okay? I hope so, for your fish's sakes.
your point of view in my opinion is pretty narrow minded...there are very few yes/no answers in fishkeeping...fish are individuals and what works for some people dosent work for others etc

in order to form an understanding you have to consider information from many sources, seems from your posts that you get most of your information from breeders which is a great source (i personally LOVE bettatalk.com) but you have to take into account that their focus is on breeding not keeping community tanks so there information is not always complete in that area

Mar 11, 2003
I would like to know where you are getting your information from. If you consider narrow mindedness someone who knows what they are talking about and someone who has done TONS upon TONS of research on this subject and the basic common sense and common knowledge of these beautiful fish untrue, than you need to do some research of your own. I am 100% sure I know what I am talking about, and I am sorry if you think I don't but I have said all that I can to prevent harm from coming to anyone elses fish because of the extremely low chances of this happening.

The reason my information comes from breeders is simple...DUH! They know a lot more about bettas than anyone else. How many betta owners do you know that are very knowledgable yet don't breed their fish? Almost none. Breeders and any half way intelligent betta owner knows that if you leave a female in with a male after they are finished spawning, the male will try to kill the female. That is why they have to watch, and take her out right away. Common betta sense....I am done with this subject unless something else comes up that I can answer.

Alexa

me2

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2003
Visit site
its called personal experience :rolleyes:

funny thing is that its almost impossible for bettas to breed in most community tanks (the cause of aggression between males and females) because of the current

mr betta cant make a bubble nest...hence NO BREEDING

so why would he want to go after the girls if there is not a nest to lure them to or chase them away from?

hmmmm

so much for your common sense

anyway i am done with this subject as well because i just looked at your profile and realized i'm arguing with a 15yr old (no wonder you think you know everything *laughingc ) but that dosent mean i wont attempt to correct you in the future if i see you giving someone bad information/advice ;)