Lowering Nitrate Levels

Jul 31, 2016
I recently tested my water because I noticed that a fish was acting strangely. Everything else seemed pretty normal (pH, Ammonia, Nitrite) except the Nitrate level. The Nitrate level was somewhere in the 80 - 160 ppm range, which is exceptionally high.

I am curious as to what can be done to help lower these levels without causing much more additional stress to my fish.

Jul 31, 2016
I have swapped out the Carbon Portion of the filter and have done about a 30% water change and have seen a noticeable decline in the Nitrate levels. I have heard about 'Biological Filter Media' but I am uncertain as to how to utilize these pellets. There seem to be no helpful instructions on the packaging at the store either. I am not sure if I could simply drop these in the tank, filter, or just what should be taking place.

Jul 31, 2016
i've never used those pellets unfortunately.

have you vacuum the gravel?
the water changes are good but can't do them too often. but should continue to change the water.
Definitely vacuumed out the gravel. There was a large amount of debris in the gravel. I'm pretty sure I removed a good bit of the funk there, so that should help as well.

Jul 31, 2016
The nitrate level is consistently dropping. I also tested my tap water and noted that it was does contain a low percentage of nitrates as well. I'll keep testing it for the next few days to see how it changes.