Lizzi

LIZZI

New Fish
Aug 20, 2009
I have 7 varieties of goldfish in one tank for about the last 5 years. They have never been aggressive with each other never fight over food. Very dosile. At night they all huddle into a corner all next to each other. When the light goes on in the morning they know its breakfast time. These guys have gotten huge. I mean like 8 inches long from 1 inch long. So i had to buy a 90 gallon tank to put them in. So they would not be so crunch up. I moved them 2 days ago. Everything worked out great. Suddenly this am. They all got so mean and kept cornering and working together to trap one of the calico fancy tail ones. I could not believe my eyes. What is going on. They were relentless. They kept picking at its butt. I finally could not take it anymore they were being so cruel to it. So i put it back in the 40 gal tank. Then they all start in on the 2nd calico fish just the same way. So i take and put that one in the 40 gal tank. Now all is well and everyone is calm again what happen? Anyone? Please!

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2009
NW,US
I'm not super experienced by any means, but it could just be breeding behavior. Based on what I've read, you're fish are mature enough size-wise & the changing of tanks may have caused them to react in that way. Or maybe the 2 calicos were showing signs of illness to the other fish & they wanted them gone.
If you want any more help from the other forum members. I would suggest adding more detailed info about your fish & the tank levels, etc.
Hope you get it figured out!