Livebearing Questions

Thicks083

Small Fish
Jan 3, 2012
Levittown, New York
I know a few livebearing species are guppies, platies, and swordtails. Are there more? Are mollies livebearers?
And how long does it typically take for a livebearer to give birth?
Do livebearers demand higher temperatures?
And what is the typical age of maturity for livebearing fish?

Kayleigh750

Medium Fish
Dec 28, 2011
Canada
yes, mollies are live bearers. and no, they don't demand higher temperatures for living although in some cases they will breed more in higher temperatures I have heard.

that's all I can answer, hopefully someone else can get the other two :p

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
You don't say what kind of fish you have except for the Guppies. Mollies and platies and most others can eat the fry as soon as they are born - in fact some fish will follow a PG female and swallow them as they arrive - I don't know about guppies, but I know mollies and platies will. Probably most fish will and bettas are really good at scrounging them out. You need plenty of hiding places like real or plastic/silk plants. There are plastic grass type mats you can buy.

Thicks083

Small Fish
Jan 3, 2012
Levittown, New York
You don't say what kind of fish you have except for the Guppies. Mollies and platies and most others can eat the fry as soon as they are born - in fact some fish will follow a PG female and swallow them as they arrive - I don't know about guppies, but I know mollies and platies will. Probably most fish will and bettas are really good at scrounging them out. You need plenty of hiding places like real or plastic/silk plants. There are plastic grass type mats you can buy.
Will they eat any fry? Even their own? Might be a noobish question, but I'm going to assume the answer is yes.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
You assume right! There are some fish that will protect and parent their fry but even among them there are exceptions. Although I have never done it, I understand male bettas take care of their fry when hatched, but even they will sometimes suddenly destroy them. Most of the common community type fish that I can think of at the moment do not parent the fry and they become fair game.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
One thing you really should consider is what your plan is for the fry. Some usually survive, but if all of them should you would very soon be out of room. It isn't always easy to find homes for them. Some LFS will take them in trade, but don't count on it and I think you might as well forget any idea of it being a profitable business. lol

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Just search this forum for "Breeding bettas" You will need a lot of containers. I assume you know there is only one male betta to a tank and you do not leave a female betta in with a male except for the very brief egg laying process - which might be just hours. They need to be watched closely. There is a lot of reading material available.

Dec 5, 2011
Walla Walla, Washington

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Make sure that they can't get in the filter dummy. I never had it happen to me, but I made sure that it never happened. It's easy to cycle a tank. Just as long as you don't add any more fish, then your tank should cycle soon. As long as your fry stay alive then, in my opion, your water is good enough. Fry need pristine water conditions to survive, so if they're healthy (along with all of your other fish) then your ok...for the moment.