Live Rock and Filter

snus29

Medium Fish
Dec 10, 2012
People say that the live rock in your sw aquarium acts as your filter. does this mean you don't need an actual filter, or is it recommended that you do. thanks

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You don't need an actual filter. The LR houses beneficial bacteria as well as other microorganisms. So it handles the biological filtration - the microorganisms also take care of some detritus.

You can use a filter if you want but it is not necessary. A protein skimmer is a better purchase but a decent one is more expensive. And a cheap one is really not that worthwhile. You just need a powerhead for water flow.

snus29

Medium Fish
Dec 10, 2012
You don't need an actual filter. The LR houses beneficial bacteria as well as other microorganisms. So it handles the biological filtration - the microorganisms also take care of some detritus.

You can use a filter if you want but it is not necessary. A protein skimmer is a better purchase but a decent one is more expensive. And a cheap one is really not that worthwhile. You just need a powerhead for water flow.
So what your saying is that all I need is live rock and a power head and my aquarium will stay clean?

Feb 27, 2009
You will still need to do regular water changes, and depending on the size of the tank, strength of the powerhead, and formation you put the live rock in, you could need more than one powerhead.

snus29

Medium Fish
Dec 10, 2012
You will still need to do regular water changes, and depending on the size of the tank, strength of the powerhead, and formation you put the live rock in, you could need more than one powerhead.
Ya. Water changes confuse the hell out of me. All you have to do is just add pure water? No more salt ever?

Jun 19, 2013
Your making this more difficult than it actually is.. living rock.. you mean lava rock? The only living rock I know of is known as REEF. Maybe you mean living rock as in the bacteria living on the rock. Beneficial bacteria loves lava rock.

snus29

Medium Fish
Dec 10, 2012
Your making this more difficult than it actually is.. living rock.. you mean lava rock? The only living rock I know of is known as REEF. Maybe you mean living rock as in the bacteria living on the rock. Beneficial bacteria loves lava rock.
Pet Supplies - Pet Products - Pet Food | Petco.com

Is this what you mean? So bacteria will just start filing in and this rock will then be considered "live"

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
"Topping off" the tank - replacing the water that evaporates daily - is with fresh water. The salt itself doesn't evaporate. Water changes would be taking out, say, 5g of saltwater and replacing it with new, mixed saltwater. This is to remove the nitrates and other dissolved organics, and to replenish any minerals and such that have been used. Same as in a freshwater aquarium.

"Live rock" does in fact refer to the beneficial bacteria and other microorganisms that populate inside the rock. You normally need to get a few pieces of live rock to seed the tank, but the rest can be "dead rock" or base rock - ideally porous rock that is going to provide lots of nooks and crannies for micro-growth.

Good examples / sources of base rock:
Bulk Dry Live Rock & Live Sand - Bulk Reef Supply
Florida Reef Rock (30lbs - Free Shipping) (also has a good description of base rock / live rock)

Last edited: