Little parasitic thing

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
This thing was attached to my maroon clown, so I did a fresh water dip and it fell right off and died. Any ideas? Isopod?
016.jpg

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I see things that look like clear stingrays on fish out of the mississippi river. found out they are fish louse. it's amazing how many different aquatic critters there are good and bad. seems like at least once a month i come across a new one and this is one of those times.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Hahah, that's awesome freshy.

I really hope there aren't any more. Newman have you had much experience with these things?

Yesterday the clown looked fine, just a barely noticeable discoloration where the thing was. But I came home today to find half his tail fin gone. What the heck man...
clown.jpg
He's swimming fine as if nothing is bothering him.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yeah maybe another fish like the damsel got him or the other clown fought him.

my clowns were clean luckily, so i never saw the parasitic isopod in person before.

Feb 27, 2009
Fighting fish can cause small wounds and the parasites will take advantage of the wound to feed off the fish at that site. Fish also will pick at the parasites on another fish and in doing so, can CAUSE the wounds. Not likely to know which came first (sort of like the chicken and the egg question!).

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Well no witnessed aggression. My clowns are rarely with out the other. I feel pretty confident to say that the parasite came first. I inspect these fish very closely at least once a day. The maroon clown especially since he was pricy. I suppose he could have be wounded before I got home from work. I wonder if that parasite cause some tissue to die off and the cleaner shrimp simply removed it?

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
It appeared healthy, slightly discolored where the parasite was. If it was bitten off then I would put my money on the angel. I still think it had something to do with that parasite. It's the same spot.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Troubles never singly come.

Clownfish with missing tail came down with ich. And so commenced an endemic. My coral beauty and fire goby died as a result. My fire angel completely disappeared along with my injured clown. Then I noticed the dead carcass of the flame angel inside the conk shell. I lifted up the shell and a frickin 2 inch mantis shrimp swam out. I almost caught the damn thing. I was so close.

I think I found the source of the missing tail. These things are mean based on what I've read.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
while it is possible, is it a spearer type of mantis shrimp? otherwise it would be hard tio imagine how it could injure that tail with club shaped hands. but still possible because it has other smaller clawed hands as well.

damn sounds like your tank is having it rough, sorry for all the losses. try baiting it out and trapping it overnight. devise a trap for it. maybe out of a water bottle cut up to act as a trap. research them on line.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Yeah I think its the spearer variety since it has been preying on fish and not snails, etc.

I made a trap with an inverted pop bottle and shrimp as bait. Placed it near the conk shell. BTW I have been hearing the tell tale clicking sound for quite some time. I just never knew what it was attributed to.

So after some research I have found that they are one of the smartest animals on the planet. Their eyesight is far superior to humans... they can see colors unseen to us. Their 'punch' moves so fast that it boils the surrounding water and the resulting shockwave will kill its prey if the actual strike misses. They can break glass, cut off thumbs and accelerate at the speed of a .22 caliber bullet.

Hardy, mean and lightning speed with Cyberdyne System Model 101 strength... His name shall be Nemesis.