Lights

Meleemaker

Medium Fish
Nov 17, 2010
Pierre SD
When I bought my 55 gallon tank, it came with lights(its about 48 inches long) and the lights that went with it fit perfectly and when I got home to try them out, they were not working. I do not know much about long bulbs or lights or different sizes that would work. I am used to wiring LED lights and not much about CHANGING BULBS LOL

The light system is about 48 inches with each light being about 47.5 inches long. They say that they are 32 watt (E) (Hg)

Would a normal hardware store carry them or do I need to get specific lights from a fish store. I do not need anything for living plants, just enough to let me enjoy my fish.

And do they work if I only put on bulb in(it hold 3), or do I need to replace all 3 before it works?

THANKS A TON!!

Feb 27, 2009
It would be helpful to know the brand name of the fixture to be sure, but most do not require all bulbs to be installed for the single bulb to work.

There should be something on/near the ballast that will tell you the maximum wattage you can run for each bulb. If you are not growing live plants, any wattage up to the number the ballast will run will work fine, and they can be purchased at most home improvement/hardware stores.

I've seen many people take the fixture into the store. The employees will make sure you get the right wattage bulb for your fixture and that the bulbs are not burn out before you leave.