Lighting Question, Need Quick Answer

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
I got a 10 gallon Aqua Culture Kit from Wally World a week back. It came with your typical cheap incandescent bulbs. I have some compact fluorescent bulbs that are rated 13 watts and equivalent to 60 watt incandescent. My hood says the max wattage is 25 watts.

Would it be safe to put two of the Fluorescents into those sockets? Thank you for the help in advance.!

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; I have done that very thing. The only problem I had was that the CFL's are more sensitive to moisture. Moisture from condensation and bubbles seems to get into the base of the CFL where there are is a small circuit board and components. If the hood does not have good moisture separation and/or sealing, you will lose bulbs. I placed a sheet of glass between the top of a tank and the light I used. No problems after that.

I like the brite white or daylight bulbs, arouind 6500 K.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Condensation will likely only be a problem at night (when the light is off). To check, you could take a look first thing in the morning before turning the light on. Air bubbles and some filters create a fine mist that gets uner the hood assemblies.

I have had factory hoods with plastic dividers that did fine. On others I found it necessary to dry them and then run a thin line of silicone at the junction seams.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; The CFL's are more effecient and less of the energy goes directly to waste heat. I find them them to run much cooler than wattage of the incadescent type they replace. They do get hot , but not as hot. I have found that the physically smallest size of CFL fit nicely into the space allowed for an incadescent and also put out enough lumens to light a tank well and also grow plants well.

The plants in my signature were grown under two of the small CFL's in a 20 gallon long.