Lighting for a 10g Nano Sw tank

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
Since i dont see an edit button quick update on my set up i have 3 power heads ordered. i have the salt, hydrometer, aragonite sand a hob filter to attempt to mod for a hob fuge, need to buy still is more salt mix, test kit, light, black spray paint(to spray back of tank with), Live rock to get this sucker goin.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I have a 18,000K bulb on my nano-10g. I have a mushroom and green toadstool leather coral. Also a TON of tiny feather dusters with about 15 pounds of live rock. This light seems to be OK and working fine with my set-up. A ten gallon nano is very hard to manage!!!! You are also going to need a RO filter system to make you life easier or get salt water from you LFS. A 70 gallon would be better for a beginner because there is more room to absorb error, not so in a 10G nano, any error is almost certainly as disaster. I am not saying its impossible for a beginner to start out with a nano. Its for sure much more affordable!! I always had problems with my nano until I tried an unconventional type filter, see this link. http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/sal...rate-phosphate-remover-diy-64.html#post608580. Its a lot of reading. This filter worked so well on my nano I made one for my 40G salt. Now all I can say it that I wish my freshwater was a easy and salt tanks are now. Yes!! Really!!! I know work more on my fresh then my salt.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
if you want LEDs you should probably get two PAR38 or two PAR30 bulbs, they are dependable and will allow you to keep a variety of corals.
T5 lighting isn't bad either, I started my 10 gallon nao with a coralife T5 light but eventually upgraded to a 70W metal halide. I have to say the metal halide is the most amazing light i have come across. I bought it from fishneedit.com because i did not have much money for a lighting upgrade, but with a 20,000K stock bulb it is preforming very well. the stock bulb isn't much but once you get an quality aftermarket bulb, the MH light would be best IMO. My tank: Newman's 10 Gallon Piece of Ocean - Nano-Reef.com Forums