Lfs

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I want to say a few words about so called “big box stores” or for that matter any of the LFS. First off, some of us don’t have much choice. I supposedly live in a populated area in Western Washington, but my choices of LFS are pretty limited. A year ago there were 3 private LFS, all of which have gone out of business and they were still about 30 miles away, as are Petsmart and Petco. Not all private ones are that great or well stocked either. I went to one that was recommended and about 40 miles away. Although they seemed to have a fair selection of fish, they were very expensive and their tanks didn’t look that great plus they had one large (probably 40g) tank with some kind of bottom feeder in it that could just barely turn around by flipping on to its side. I was not impressed. I don’t mind spending a little more, but not double for what appears to be equal fish in tanks that are cruddy.

I am finding all big box stores aren’t the same - even the Walmarts that still have fish you can’t heap together. It all depends on the manager. Evidently they have the latitude to make some decisions on their own. I am not amoured with the Petco nearest me, but I have been to a new one in a little town in Oregon that is very well stocked with supplies that I have been unable to find anyplace except on line. Recently I was in a Petsmart in another area. I couldn’t believe it was the same store as Olympia. They actually had knowledgeable people who had their own aquariums and they were there to help - I didn’t have to look for someone. In fact there was so much help that I ask if they had just opened and they said “No” they had been there for 3 years. I now have a reason to do my shopping that direction more often. I have also noticed some Petco & some Petsmart have SW fish and coral and some do not.

Walmarts are the same with one exception - you can’t expect them to give any advice. You need to go there already knowing what you want. If they have a good manager, a person is assigned to keep the tanks clean, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they have any knowledge about fish, so just don’t expect it. There are still people that have a lot of pride in their work even if they are minimum wage and I respect that.

You just shouldn’t heap all stores of any kind together, because from place to place they are all managed differently.