Let's talk about puffers

Squash

New Fish
Oct 23, 2007
Hey guys, I introduced myself in the beginner freshwater thread, I'm running a 70G tank in a Dorm, and I'm looking to fill it with fish. I essentially started from scratch, and now have a healthy tank with:

1 Pleco
1 Ropefish
1 Rainbow shark
5 Red eye tetras
4 Angels

I think the tank needs one more good fish. A flagship fish if you will, and since this is a dorm, people want something *cool*, and can you blame them? I was lamenting that all Puffers are aggressive saltwater beasts, when I found online that... They're not. Apparently, there's a bunch of freshwater (not just brackish or salt water) puffers out there, and supposedly, one of them, the 'Amazon' (or 'Brazilian', or Bee Puffer', or 'South American Freshwater Puffer') is actually docile. Do you guys think that one of those would work in my tank? I would love to put a puffer in there personally, but if it wont work I obviously wont do it.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Welcome to MFT! :)

Puffers (no matter what the salinity - FW, Brackish or SW) are not community fish. They do best in a species-only tank.

Here's a list of Freshwater Puffers and information about their requirements in case you are interested:
Freshwater Profiles
as well as information on Colomesus asellus...the South American or Brazilian Puffer. Freshwater Puffers

Last edited: