Lemon plants

GooGirl

Large Fish
Nov 20, 2012
Walla Walla Washington
I got some seeds from a lemon and sprouted them. I decided to try an experiment and I put them in a 'carry cage' with nothing but rocks and water that completely submerged the plants. I let them sit for a day, and I noticed that, instead of wilting like I thought they might, they actually looked healthier than in the soil!

I have never heard of lemon tree sprouts being used as an aquarium plant, and apparently neither has Google! My question is, would it be OK to put the sprouts in the fish tank, or would it do something to the water and harm the fish?

On a side note, how do you know if a plant is OK for aquariums(besides ones meant for tanks)? As long as they are fine completely submerged in water, would they be OK in a tank, or would certain plants not be OK because they do something to the water?

Thanks!

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
You can have plants in a tank that are not fully submerged. Decay is what you have to worry about when adding non-aquarium plants to a tank.
Plants that decay can pollute the quality of your tank water.

Last edited:

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Yes, floating plants like Lilly pads. :)
I'm not sure if the lemon tree is safe or not for your tank. You could try it, but I would monitor your water parameters (rising ammonia levels).
I would also remove the tree if there are any noticeable signs of decay.