LED Lights

Feb 27, 2009
I believe their 'double bright' light is geared toward planted aquariums. I've not had experience with either though.

That link you provided has a "Product Q & A" section. If you look at page 2, the question and answer is there:

Q - would this light work for a planted aquarium?
A - Thank you for your question. We apologize, as this Marineland LED unit may not be sufficient for use on planted aquarium setups. To better assist you with finding proper lighting for your setup, we recommend directly contacting our Customer Support Department at 1-800-381-7179 or via e-mail at customerservice@drsfostersmith.com. mjs

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Thanks OC. I am really thinking of it for the 16g tank which right now only has an anubias and I was also think of trying a Java Fern. It does sound like the light would make it really pretty and the tank is in the dining room.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I've got the same Marineland LED pod for my 10gal, but it doesn't have as many LEDs on it. The 3 little low-light plants I have in the tank are doing OK, even with a lesser LED light, so I'd think you'd be OK with low light plants and standard LED tank lighting, just like you would with standard fluorescent hoods.

The plants haven't grown much because the tank is just starting up, but I was surprized at the root growth on the anubias nana. FWIW, I have a timer on the light and run it about 10hrs a day. Nice thing about the LEDs is no heat and hardly any engergy consumption.

Joel