Leaving Ugf in

Feb 26, 2011
hey i replaced my Ugf with a marine canister filter but i left the undergravel plates in the tank still and was wondering if i could just leave it in there. its a 90g tank and its real hard to get out. i have one power head hooked up to half of it just for flow because the exhaust vent isnt very powerful and the fish like to swim in the current. is this ok?

Last edited:

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; I did a similar thing before. I had an established tank with a lot of rooted plants. I switched to one of the new, at that time, HOB (hang on back) power filters. I left the under gravel (UGF) in place and turned off the air.

I did notice at one point one of my kuhli loaches swimming down the tube where the air bubbles used to exhaust. The kuhli eventually was accounted for in the tank and I replaced the broken grid cap on the open tube to keep it and any other fish out.

I was not all that pleased with the operation of the HOB filter, as it would lose function for a variety of reasons. (The newer models are much more reliable and simpler to operate.) Some time later I did turn on the air to the under gravel as a reliable supplement.

I have seen posts talking about problems with being able to clean under gravel filters. I do not quite understand what is meant by this, as I have never tried to clean one while it is operating in a tank and under the gravel. As far as I know, there is no need to clean one. There were some other negative comments about UGF's, but the comments were vague and not specific about what the problems actually are.

I have begun to suspect that UGF's are considered to be somewhat old fashioned or out of vogue and not that there is any serious problem with their function. I used them as primary filters for a lot of years and then as part of a system along with some sort of HOB filter. The HOB type does actually catch tank detritus in a removable filter medium. At any rate over the many years that UGF were in use, I do not recall any serious problems.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I have not personally used a UGF, but I acquired a 30g tank from my daughter which had one in for at least 10 years without being removed. They did remove it and clean the tank before delivering it to me, but it had obviously been successful because the tank came with two large angels which they had raised - in tap water, no additives or chemicals. In fact that was my big worry because I have well water. I have had the tank 4 months now with no problems. I agree with SKJ ( and also some things I read from an author I respect) it has just sort of gone out of "style", but some people swear by them. (I was also told I could have left the UGF in without hooking it up, but for personal reasons, I chose not to do that.)