leaky tank

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
well it happened, my dirted planted 55 decided it wanted to retire and give me a final gift of 30-40 gallons of water on the floor. saved all my fish and plants at least. the silicone accually split along the bottom back seam. I've never seen the silicone split like that. i've seen it pull away from the glass but not crack. but I'm getting a new tank on tuesday. my lfs is selling me one for cost with no tax. can't pass up the deal. now just need to build a new stand as the water destroyed the mdf stand i got with the tank. however i do have a question for yall. anyone got a good way to draw water up out of a carpet? I've used a shop vac and fans but still damp after 3 days and well starting to get an odor.

As for the old tank i couldn't even give it away at work as a critter cage. i put it on my tailgate with a sign on it saying free and what was wrong with it. so i brought it home and put a super thick bead of NP1 on the seam. it's a masonry/concrete expansion joint caulk. it now sits behind my garage ready for bait. just going to use it as a bait tank for catfishing. can catch my bait after work and put them in there till i go fishing in the morning. better than the 5 gallon bucket i normally use and can hold alot more.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Ugh, that's a nightmare. I'm glad you were able to save the fish.

Can you pull up the carpet in the area to let it dry from underneath? Even just pulling up a corner and folding it over to let the situation air out?

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
not really. I'd have to move 2 more tanks and my entertainment system. I mean sure i could move the tanks, however there would be no way to power the filters or anything and i tend to over stock as it is so wouldn't take long to kill the fish.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
well I bought a new 55 gallon tank today and built a stand. think the stand could hold the weight of a 500 gallon so plenty strong lol. made it with scrap 5/8 plywood, 4X4 and 2X4. weighs bout 100 pounds lol. plan on getting the stand and everything setup tomorrow. wont be able to put in the gravel or stock it till this weekend though. still need to buy more gravel and some miracle grow organic. figure new tank, might as well start from scratch. already boiled everything that could be boiled and got a plan for the deco. instead of doing driftwood or anything like that i plan to use deer antlers as the deco. I know they will eventually rot but so does wood.