Largemouth Bass?

noob23

Large Fish
Dec 17, 2007
SoCal
Is it right to keep these guys in an aquarium, no matter how big it is? Its just something that's been in the back of my mind. I think walking into your house, seeing a big tank with a bass just chillin there would be awesome. Has anyone done it before? I don't want to violate any fish ethics here.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Sweetpickles, still low on the gallons but getting close i think, the minimum I recall seeing recommended was a 220 and that I believe was considered temporary, your talking about a fish that would need to be in tank pretty much by itself, and a fish that can get to over 3ft in length and weigh in at 20+ pounds, so you would need a tank sized accordingly. Now could you keep a juvi for a while in a 90 or 100G probably, and probably without a problem but the time would come rather quickly to move them to a large tank or even a pond. Now if you new someone that had a private farn pond, that is completely seperated from any natural body of water, then you could grow one out for a decent size then release it into that, always check local/ state laws before during any catching and keeping native fish and inverts, and also check regs on private stocking. Also many states have laws protecting smaller bass, so it may be illegal to take an aquarium sized fish regardless of legallity of keeping them, here is a link to a dealer. FRESH WATER VERTEBRATES CATALOG AT SACHS SYSTEMS AQUACULTURE!

There are smaller options that can be kept in common aquariums though, green sunfish act IMO much like a bass would, check out the NANFA link in my sig, you will find more info on keeping natives there.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I personally would like to get a sturgon. not a lake sturgon just the little hackle backs I have locally. the national record is only 7lbs something ounces and 3 feet long. but they are neat looking. but what I REALY want is a small school of pumpkinseeds. those are by far some of the most beautiful sunfish in north america in my book.

May 11, 2003
Canada
I did it with a 2 inch Largemouth Bass.... He was territorial and killed the other tank inhabitants..... But he was a cool fish.... Had him in their for over a year.....

How quickly do Largemouth Bass grow in a 30 gallon tank?

I have a Largemouth Bass thats about 2-3 inches (yes i know what your thinking) its elegal but oh well.... anyways i just wanted to know how long it will be till it about doubles its size.

its acomponied by 8 Bluegill which are anyware from 2-5 inches.
oh b.t.w im totaly new to this whole thread posting blog thingy.....sorry =(.