Kuhli loach?

svneo

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Can you put kuhli loaches in a planted tank or will they rip everything up?  Also, how do they get along with Cory's?

Oct 22, 2002
As far as I have read Coolie loaches are some of the best worm eaters out there, so your plants would be very safe. However I do not know how well they would get along with corys. Proably fairly well since loaches usually only like to come out at night. *thumbsup2*

svneo

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I was a little worried about the Cory's with plants before I got them.  I had never had Cory's before.  But they are so careful and delicate with the plants. It's like they know wxactly what their job is.

Oct 22, 2002
even in a sand tank kuhli loaches would do no harm to your plants. they are just to small to do anything.
I got 3 in my tank that are some of the biggest I've ever seen almost as fat as a pencil!!!! I had to have them when I saw them for sale, they look so awesome at that size, but they only grow to be like 3" in length so never a problem with plants.
LIke the others have said, you'll NEVER see these things in a planted tank, so you might want to consider something else. They ONLY come out at night, and in a big tank are impossible to see even at night.

theSaj

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hey there,

I have two Khuli loaches, gonna get a third.

I also have a Dojo/Weather loach, much larger greyish colored loach.

Even though he's about 6 inches. He's so gentle he'll rest lightly on the leaves and branches of plants. Even though he's six inches.

Pooky125

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Corvallis, Or
I have 3 Kuhlis in one of my tanks, with 2 corys, and they never bother eachother, I don't think they even know the other one is there.. very peaceful, and they've never harmed my plants.. if it's densely planted in atleast 1 part, they might come out. I have one living under my group of crypts at the moment..  

jbfootin

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
There are black kuhli loaches and stripped kuhli loaches.  From my experience the black are much more outgoing.  I have both and I see the blacks whenever I feed the fish they come out and look for scraps but I haven't seen the stripped ones for a month.  Hope they are ok!

Jay

I have 3 striped kuhlis, 1 black or java kuhli, and 6 peppered corydoras in my planted 55 gallon. They get along fine. My kuhlis love to lie in the plants and on top of each other. As long as they are in the shade and cover of my plants, they don't mind squirming around during the day time. They aren't scared of me unless I make sudden movements. They lie right at the front of the tank in the dwarf sag most of the time where it is easy to enjoy them. They are so cute and fat!  ;D

Oct 22, 2002
great pics!
If anyone is interested my LFS has about 100 khulis in a 10 gallon,
I'm thinking about picking up a few more since they are so cute.

If anyone is interested I could ship them to anyone that can't get them.