Koi Pond

wethead

Large Fish
Jun 7, 2003
Phila. Burbs
Visit site
Heres a pic of my pond as it looked last summer, i'm hopeing things will be just as lush this yr. Everything has gotten a late start because of the cold Spring, but that did'nt stop the koi from breeding TODAY ! Wow are they noisy....Rich

Attachments

wethead

Large Fish
Jun 7, 2003
Phila. Burbs
Visit site
The pond measures 8ft. long by 4-1/2ft. wide by 3-1/2ft. deep As i filled it the first time it came to 600gal.
I know you're not supposed to keep koi in such a small pond but there are only 4 & i have no intention of adding any more.
When they spawn, they have always eaten all the eggs so no fry. If this changes, i'll have to re-think who i keep.
The fish are 5yrs. old now & even bigger that the pic. I've never had a trace of amonia or nitrite but i've always kept LOTS of plants in the pond & they thrive on that good koi poop....Rich

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
It looks really nice. When it snows and is cold do you take the koi out? If so where do you put them? Thats probably a odd question, I'm just wondering how to accomodate huge koi, lol. Or are they okay in the cold?
As you can tell, I dont know much about koi =)

tramca

Large Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Liverpool/England
Visit site
I think the fish slow right down in the winter. Not hibernating but close.
My parents had a pond for years....and they used to float a chunk of polystyrene on the surface to stop it freezing over completely.
The fish always survived the winter.

Always full of frog spawn too!

Nice pond by the way.

Theres a pet shop near me that has koi and they are as big as dogs!
Must be a couple of thousand quids worth of fish!

Last edited:

wethead

Large Fish
Jun 7, 2003
Phila. Burbs
Visit site
If you notice the piece of poly-pipe sticking out of the snow, thats connected to an inverted foam cooler & has a length of air line running to a garden shed that houses a small air pump that supplies enough air for gas exchange over the winter.
The air stone goes down only 6" or so, not enough to disturb the fish. My freeze line in my area goes down to 15"-18" so no matter how much snow & ice there is above, it's about 40-42 deg. below.
I saw this hint in the pond column of Aquarium Fish Mag. & it's been working fine for 5 winters now.......Rich