knifes

kingy2

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
i was wondering how either a african knife or a black ghost knife would do in my tank, the smallest fishes are a school of congo tetras (about 8cm) how would a well fed knife do in there?

mleong

Small Fish
Dec 27, 2002
Malaysia
Visit site
The Black Ghost is ok when small, but will need to move to a bigger tank with bigger tankmates later. THe African Knife is not recommended in a tank with the fish that you have now. I have 3 Black Ghost Knife in a 3 footer tall tank with Mollies, Platies, Black Widow Tetras, 1 Clown Loach and 1 Queen Loach and 3 bottom feeders, 3 glass shrimps and some guppies.

MORPHEUS

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
wales
*thumbsdow I JUST GOT 2 BLACK GHOST KNIFE BUT UNFORTUNATELY 1 OF THEM ONLY LASTED AN HOUR. ONE OF MY FISH TOOK A CHUNK OUT OF HIM.THE OTHER SEEMS OK BUT UNDERSTANDABLY IS HIDING A LOT.DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO ON THEM

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
Which fish took a chunk out of it? Also my mom has a couple african knives, they are not aggressive towards any of the fish, and they are always out. They are getting big, it probably is good to buy them when they are young, so they grow with your current fish.

adamj

Large Fish
Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
i've got a nice little clown knife :) hes in a community tank with others his size, you'd be surrised how passive and non agressive he is to the others. BUT i feed him feeder guppies on occasion, most of the time he gets frozen brine. i've gotten him to go after flake and algae pellets. and of cource, feed during the day. I dont think any knifes are as agressive as many seem to think.

adamj

Large Fish
Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
i think so... are you wanting to get a clown knife? remember how big they get.. ghost would be cool

i've got a clown knife in a community tank, not recommended for beginners

mleong

Small Fish
Dec 27, 2002
Malaysia
Visit site
I had 3 Black Ghost to start with. They were about 2 inch then. I had them in a 67G with 10 Clown Loach, 4 Black Widow Terta, 5 Rams, 2 plecos, 4 Mollies and 4 Swordtails. The Black Ghost grew fast, in about 2 months, one grow to about 5 inches, one to about 4, but the 3rd one still at aound 3 or less, but died later. They would swim around the tank,day or night, especially when I feed them with Blood Worms.
One fine day, my aunt brought me about 50 Gouramis, 10 plecos, and about 30 Swordtail and Platies from a friend who has a fish farm. Well, the tank was damm crowded. So I ordered a 180G. Now the tank is kind of empty. I have added 5 Redtail Sharks. A few of the Clown Loache died, I bought another 4 to replace them. The gourami and swordtails also died quite a few, now left with less than 20.
I was eager to get a Clown Knife ( 6 inches), and finally did. I had it in the 67G with a Dragon fish(6 inches) and a Flower Horn( also around 6inches). They seems to get along well.

BigCiX

Large Fish
Dec 6, 2002
Bakersfield, Ca
Visit site
Originally posted by MORPHEUS
*thumbsdow I JUST GOT 2 BLACK GHOST KNIFE BUT UNFORTUNATELY 1 OF THEM ONLY LASTED AN HOUR. ONE OF MY FISH TOOK A CHUNK OUT OF HIM.THE OTHER SEEMS OK BUT UNDERSTANDABLY IS HIDING A LOT.DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO ON THEM
i only own one black...but my frined bought one and just put it in with the other.....well.....he´s been chasing him since.

shev

New Fish
Aug 5, 2005
sorry for bringing up an old thread. if it is an old thread, I have no idea I couldnt find where it said the date.

never keep more than one black ghost knife in the same tank. glack ghost knife fish use an electrical field around them to find food and navigate, if you keep two in the same tank, or more than one of any fish that uses an electrical field, they will get confused, wont be able to find food or navigate as easily, and will end up trying to kill eachother.

clown knives and african knives dont use an electrical field, you can tell because they have large good eyes.