Kiara's 20gL

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
This is a video and some pics of my new 20gL I set it up on Friday and it took 3 hours to complete. I had to clean this tank and then tear down 2 tanks to set up this one. Here's the info.

Filter:
Tetra Whisper 40i

Heater:
Elite 75watt set to 78F

Lighting:
CFLs in a 10g hood

Fish:
Ryukin Goldfish- 4"
Lionhead Goldfish- 3"
Fantail Goldfish- 3"
Dwarf Gourami
Black Phantom Tetras- 3 - 1/2"
Zebra Danios- 4
White Cloud Mountain Minnow
Platies- 4
Striped Rubberlip Pleco
Kuhli Loaches- 5
Zebra Nerite Snail
RCS

Pics:

Before
[video]http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj558/bk_1125/52435E3E-9B4B-495A-ACFC-23FAFE30975A-542-000000808D633CDE.mp4[/video]

After
[video]http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj558/bk_1125/F79340F2-A602-43D2-B9B5-34CF46B41B61-1354-0000016CF5A7987D.mp4[/video]

Pics:

So, what do you guys think? Feel free to post your comments! I think I'm going to add some driftwood and anubias later on along with a group of 5 neon tetras.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Two things gaught my eye unrelated to the tank design. The light appears to be a bit unsecure in that a bump could cause it to drop into the tank (i suspect that you are clever enough to have a plan to fix this.) If you do happen to drop it into the tank be sure to unplug it before trying to pick it out. The electricity is unlikely to harm the ungrounded fish so take your time. As I recall other humans allow you to live with them and this could pose a safety hazard to them as well. There are likely several good solutions. A proper sized hood would probably look best.
I have cut lengths of thick plate glass to fit the rim of a tank and placed a light on that. This has often not looked so good and becomes a chore when servicig the tank.
A GFI outlet or GFI power strip is a good safety item around tanks in general.
A light suspended securely above the tank may work but i have never truly liked that sort of arrangment.

We may have discussed the other thing before; The strength of the shelving brackets. I sort of recall that you said they were screwed into the wall studs. That should likely be strong but would make me a bit nervious. Not sure that you actually need to make any changes but perhaps a third bracket about where the reciever is as there may be a stud located in between if on 16 inch centers.

Just a couple of thoughts. I have gotten away with such arrangments several times but not all times.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Well, I currently do not have the money for a glass lids or a proper hood, but I'm working on it. I have a surge protector/power strip in use for this tank and my other two. The lid is positioned in a way up against the wall where hopefully it will stay and I have a picture of the triangle brackets holding up the shelf. The brackets are enough to hold 300LBS, so that should be enough. I did have two of my 10g's on here and they did fine. Here are some pics.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Been thru the lack of money myself and have had to make do. Take care and perhaps caution others to unplug first if light falls into water. I want you to make it to 18.
I see from the pictures that there is a third brace in place so this should be good.
Nice tank by the way.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Thank you, I will take care. I'm thinking about going to my lfs soon to at least get some more plants. I want to fill out this tank. At Lear my rosy sword has divided, but it's not doing good since I didn't see it earlier. Hopefully the light will bring it out.

big54bob

Superstar Fish
Dec 20, 2006
On my office chair playing Runescape

Where to start?

One WAY overstocked. 3 goldfish need at least a 30 gal pref. 40 gals.

Two Inappropriate tankmates. Goldfish, WCMN, and possibly the Pleco need cooler waters then the other fish.

If you rehomed the goldfish your tank would then be considered stocked. STOP ADDING FISH until you correct the issues

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
I wanna get some fert and lights so I can help my plants.

I don't care that the tank is overstocked or the fish are incompatible. Everyone is fine right now and I'm keeping up with the water changes. The fish seem to enjoy the company and there's been no problems whatsoever. The goldfish will be going into a new, bigger, all goldfish tank in about 9-12 months. Besides, you don't know. I could be doing an 80% water change every few days. I had to save up for a LONG time in order to get this tank and I set it up under my dad's nose. Sorry, all, but I might not make it to 18. Heh ...