kenny's 55gal

Apr 14, 2008
Soo...I got the last thing I really want for this tank[for the time being] today...

A 48" 108W T5HO[YIKES! lol It's extreme in a 90/75, 55 is killer but w/e :p ] light.

Soo...with the new addition, I did a WC/sand vac[not as hard as it sounds...you just gotta crimp the tubing and make it go MUCH slower then it would for gravel] and planted it up...

Equipment:
48" 108W T5HO light
Penguin 350B filter
200W heater
airpump with bubble disk
glass thermometer/cucumber holding clownfish[it makes me laugh cuz I've got a real clown now]... :p
driftwood & marble rock

Flora:
hornwort
java moss
hygrophila polysperma/polysperma 'rosanervig'
hygrophila corymbosa 'angustifolia'
ozelot/amazon swords
jungle val
dwarf sag
duckweed[blah! it hitchhikes... :p ]

Fauna:
3 FM bettas
2 platies
1 sulawesi ricefish
1 zebra danio[only survivor of previous groups...getting old![not really] :p It'll be 2 in March]
1 gold white cloud mountain minnow[when I got it, was the only one :( ]
7 orange von rio tetras
4 neon tetras
1 albino bristlenose pleco
1 bronze cory[raised from an egg ... have more rearing, actually...over time, they'll go in here]

What do you guys think? [other then the fact that it needs more plants which isn't gonna happen anytime soon :p ]

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Lol I'll take the duckweed for ya!! XD I'm glad, my dad got me a new filter and a 2.5 gallon tank for christmas. Tomorrow I'm going to petsmart and getting plants, more fish, and supplies. I think I might look into the kuhli loaches. But I'm gonna get 2 new goldfish and 3 more guppies. I'm getting Water Wisteria and Hornwort. So what do you think?? I'm getting a job over the summer so I can upgrade my tropical tanks. Can 3 kuhli loaches live in a 10g until then??

Apr 14, 2008
kc: Thanks! :D To be honest, I'm convinced that T5HO are the best for me and I think I'm gonna upgrade the reef's light to T5/get a glass lid...I love it! Doesn't burn my hand when I touch the top of the fixture, the bulbs are insanely small and it's really powerful! Plus, that'd get to finally have 10k/actinic where it's just 6500k now[which ironically is what this one is]...

Kiara: Yay for the new 2.5gal! :D You don't want duckweed, tho...it's not a bad plant, but it seriously can drive you NUTS! lol Gets all over your arms[hello, 20gL!], gets tangled in other plants[java moss, *cough*shrimp10*cough*] but then again, it would be great for your goldies to eat over time... If you REALLY wanted some, I'd be more then willing to send you some...just think about what I said before committing to it... xD

Anyways, a 2.5gal is a pretty small tank[I know] but I have a red copper dragon plakat in mine[Arc] and it's got dwarf hairgrass in a rip-off version of an iwagumi 'scape...I have a little T5 light I got from WM for it and it's working out great! If I'm gonna be honest, Arc seems to like his tank, but I hate that it's sooooo little...I would recommend maybe yellow shrimp or the like for yours if you can find any???

And yes, kuhlis could live in the 10gal with that pretty marbled HM... :p

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Thanks kenny. I luvs my HM!! But seriously, I had duckweed before and I KILLED IT!!! Send me more please!! Are you sure that he won't attack the kuhlis though. It took me forever to get him acquainted with the platy fry that I'm selling.

I hate the 2.5 not only cuz it's small, but I'm not spending $20 on a small heater. How am I supposed to handle that!?!? Plus, since I already heave my HM in a 10g, what can I put in here??

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Well, just found a newborn guppy fry. Only survivor from moms rath. It is 4 mm long. Separated it and put it in the breeder net with my RCS. Hope they get along. :)

Apr 14, 2008
Hehe @ the guppy fry! Being tiny, it *SHOULD* be fine...atleast until it's big enough to get put with other bigger fry.

Anyways, with say shrimp, you don't have to have a heater in the little tank.

As for the kuhlis, my bettas never seemed to mind them...heck, even my 8" killer angel doesn't even mind the long lived[got it late 2007, we're close to 2012] kuhli in her tank. Just give them say a ton of clay pots[preferably ones without holes in them that they can get caught in] and I think you'd be good...he may flare and act kinda mean, but I doubt he'd really hurt them. Bettas act all tough but to me it seems they get hurt more then do the hurting...

On another note, they kinda like to burrow when new...think you could have the tank with a sand bottom?

And kk, I'll send you all the duckweed I can net out from the 20 and 10. :p

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Lol thanks with the duckweed. I have smooth (?) gravel and the terra cotta pots have holes. Can't I take a power drill and go through the hole to make it bigger and then and sand down the edges?? Here's a video.

[video=youtube;ohpluG9KYuQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohpluG9KYuQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Apr 14, 2008
Ok, yeah, smooth gravel will work! As will the idea of making the hole bigger[keeping in mind to not let them be the right size for the betta to get stuck ;) ] and sanding it down...

Cute goldfish!

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Thanks!! I got the goldfish when he was black and an orange dot on his head. Oops. All of my fish change color on me. XD

As for the pots, I was thinking about taking the whole back out. Easy solutions. xP

Apr 14, 2008
hehe!

1) Perfect solution! :p DK why I didn't think of that...just tired, I guess...[and yet, it's almost 2 and I'm still on MFT]
2) I re-watched the video with sound[I just seen the goldie and was watching it swim for a few seconds] and from there, sorry about your cold...sucks! & water wisteria, assuming you get the right kind[there's another version of it that's weird and never takes for me, but "real" ones as I call it does and takes off] grows REALLY fast. I'm actually contemplating the idea of getting some for my 55gal[which I seriously forgot was what this thread is about! xD ]...

And also, I pulled some rotala rotundifolia from my 20gL[have tons!] and put it in the 55gal...let's see how it does in a 21" deep tank with 108W HO lighting...hopefully good... :p

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Lol yeah, good luck with that. I was on MFT until 1 but with my dog laying next to me, I passed out on the floor. I woke up with my two cats laying on to of me (my loyal dog still next to me) and how they got in my room idk. xP I can barely hear anything and I don't wanna move, but kuhlis today. *dashes to get ready*

I'm gonna get some of the water wisteria cuz it's only $2.49 for 8". I have a habit of killing plants so hopefully this will work. :D

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2008
hehe that's definitely a fair price. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they'll live for you. :p Cute about the cats laying on you! All mine want is the water in uncovered aquariums. :-/

Anyways, so the plants from my tanks. 1/2 of a 20gL of duckweed[I don't really mind it being nearly eradicated in that tank], random bunches in the shrimp10 & 2.5gal, a few stems of rotala rotundifolia/green hygro, & some flame moss[not rare per se, but I think it's generally "expensive"] for the cost of shipping[$6-7]. Sound fair?

Apr 14, 2008
More pics:

Current, clear FTS:

Siberia, ABNP:

WCMM, neon, ricefish, platy -- IE, COLORS! xD :

Gold, a bronze cory:

Crap pic of a pretty betta girl :p :

And the other 2 girls:

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Thanks!! But how can I pay you?? I guess I can get a PayPal. I have enough money for it. My cats just like to watch my fish. They're so cute. Just pm me with the shipping and paying information .

Last edited:

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Well my fish are doomed. I left them in the bags to acclimate to the water atemperature and I never opened the bag. I went to go let my dog out as I accidentally locked myself out. My dad never gave me a house key (even after years of me asking) and now I'm over at my neighbors house. This happened at 2, it's 5 now and no one will be home until 9. All I can say, DAMMIT!!!!

Apr 14, 2008
Awww.... :(

On the bright side, people have big fish shipped overnight with no issues, SOOOO...I think they might be ok...I'll keep my fingers crossed for you[and them] anyways... *hugs*

I remember the time I locked myself out of the house and my parents weren't around[weren't going to be and no spare keys around/with my friends/anything...annoying as HELL!] lol

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Lol thanks, the fish turned out fine after being in a small closed bag for 7 hours. It's a miracle!! I typed out this long post of what happened, and my phone turned off and it didn't save it. -_-' here's a few pictures.
2011-12-26 18.36.23.jpg
2011-12-26 17.45.34.jpg
2011-12-26 17.54.05.jpg