kenny's 55gal

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Yes, I'm not criticizing all bettas. I'm just saying that I hate walmart and petsmart that have dull blue (like blue that shuns your eyes, not catches them) bettas that they sell all the time. I want something fresh and new, like my HM. He turned dark blue and I just thought damn. But now his tail has a metallic sheen to it that is mesmerizing ever time he turns or swims. O_O

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
My bettas have all come from Walmart. They don't sort them so they are all the same price - $3.47. Although the blue one turned out to be spectacular, my favorite so far is a copper colored crowntail whose scales look dragon like.

Apr 14, 2008
Most of mine are from WM too, Thyra! They get in some jaw dropping GORGEOUS ones sometimes.

I got a copper CT around the same time I got my 2 cambodian[white bodied] betta girls and he was really awesome! But...

He died of flexibacteria[columnaris] less then me having him a whole week. Big time sucked.

I also had a blue CT like you were describing that caught everyone's eye[in life, anyways]. He was the most shiny blue I'd ever seen in a betta.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Cool. I just don't like how walmart treats there fish, or at least around here anyways. I would like to get a Cambodian female. I love their colors. Before I got my female betta i saw a gorgeous male cambodian with deep blue eyes. I wanted him so bad!!! My mom said no..... :'(

Apr 14, 2008
Well...the tank is chugging along. I noticed a lot of new leaves on the plants[actually the rooted plants vs. stems] so I think that's good. Not much in the way of algae just whatever was on the plants when I put them in so atleast we're good so far with that. The water level is a little lower then I'd like already but that's cuz my oh so great cats like to drink out of it cuz it's the only open top tank now[well, besides the 20gEH, but they couldn't get that water if they wanted to lol].

Just an interesting pic[to me]...the spectrums in the reef and 55[and shrimp10/5.5/2.5] are the same -- 6500k. xD

[and yes, that's my black Shadow cat in the foreground :p ]

I can't wait to actually have a nice light on the reef cuz it definitely deserves it.

In other news, I feel like utter crap and have spent most of the day sleeping and still feel tired plus I can't really talk, throat hurts, sore, w/e. *thumbsdow

Apr 14, 2008
I think it will too! All the bright colors of the corals will really come out. I kinda wonder about mixing the bulbs and maybe having 1 6500k for growth[you can clearly see how fast these corals grow :D ] and 1 1800k for color?

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Nice tanks, and cat lol. I spent the countdown partying with my friends. We had some parent approved wine, movies (28 days and 28 weeks), and some Left4Dead (love that game, yay!!). It was fun. It was a sleep over that started at 4 pm and I stayed up until 10 am (when my mom picked me up) and I passed out on my bed and just woke up at 10 pm. Yay!! Lol I had fun and it was also a birthday part for my friend. She wants me to put a mini crab (fully aquatic??) in my tank. Well this mess with any of my fish?? It's only going to be one, but idk where to put it. At least I got over my cold in time, but my mom is blaming me saying that I got her sick on purpose. :/ oh well.

Also, I'm mad cuz my hood fell into the tank when my dad tried to open it. It was on and I'm lucky it didn't shock my fish. But now my hood has two broken incandescent lights that are stuck in the hood (the bulb broke off of it's metal screw thing) what do I do!?!? I wanted to get a hood with one florescent strip light, but I can't find one that includes a light (that would for a 10g).

Apr 14, 2008
hehe, glad you had fun!

Something like a Taiwan microcrab could work, tho. I think you may have to have little pieces of driftwood out of the water but from what I've heard they are FW.

As for the light, have it unplugged of course and try to unscrew them with a pair of pliers...the compact fluorescent bulbs are much more intense then the normal/straight strip light type fluorescent bulbs so I'd honestly recommend them. They're cheap like $7 for 2 and fit in an incandescent bulb socket.

Apr 14, 2008
Soo...this tank isn't doing much...I yanked the rotala and hygros[or the greens, anyways the willow leaf is doing well again!] I guess because they didn't have enough nutrients/Co2 to keep up with the extreme light but...

I do see these guys popping up and growing pretty quickly:

Anyways...my plan was broad-leaf plants for this tank. Swords, of course the "grasses", w/e...and since I have my job now...I'll go ahead and pickup either a new powerhead or canister filter to get the dead spots moving again and bam. I'm still halfway toying with the idea of moving up to a 75 but it's gonna be a LOT of work to make the switch...

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I always liked that look. I had a planted 40G tank years ago with some drift wood in it and it had the slightly stained look to the water as yours does too. I thought is looked natural. It was great until I apparently got some plants with some plant ravaging/multiplying like bunny snails on them. Disaster it was!!!! Never tried a planted tank since LOL. Yours looks great, thats for sure!!! I have always have a plant in my african and oscar tanks but its just one each, with my 18,000K lights I get them to live about 1-2 years. My wife uses my 150G to sprout her vine type plants, she puts them in the back of the tank and lets them hang over the edge while the cut end is in the water and growing roots. That tank water grows them and the roots real fast!!!!!

Feb 27, 2009
It was great until I apparently got some plants with some plant ravaging/multiplying like bunny snails on them. Disaster it was!!!!
My plant QT tank (back when I had 8 tanks) had a dwarf freshwater puffer that called it home. I've never had an unwanted snail. Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to snails, as they are a great way to know if the tank is being overfed and if the plants are healthy.

Apr 14, 2008
I used to like the look but after dealing with this:

back when, I just want clear water when the DW stops leaching it so bad. :p

Still, the tank is heading in a good direction, I think so I'm happy, regardless. I'm very highly considering getting some longfinned serpae tetras in here soon. They are so cool looking!

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I have been promoting Serpaes since I have been on this form. They have a reputation as being "fin nippers" but I have not had a problem and I think if you have at least 4 or more they work out fine. Sure are pretty and also active. Could some one clue me in on all the text language being used - I have tried to help with the Swype errors but I certainly can't understand this new cryptic DX o_O stuff - is there a glossary somewhere?? If we are going to communicate we need to understand each other! lol

Apr 14, 2008
lol Thyra! Ok...let's see...

xD - XD = BIG cheesy smile like something is funny but funnier then just the plain lol
DX-Dx = AHHHHHH!!!! Kinda "I HATE IT!!!" type reaction
O.O or o_O is like WOW...either in a good way or bad way[assess the situation :p ]
o.o is like meh, kinda eye opening but not as much as the others...maybe just enough to grab your attention?
xP - XP is like the cheesy BIG smile crossed with :p

I can't think of any others and that's the way I think of them...it's like the emoticons without and actual ":)"

Anyways, I think I'll have 5 or 7 serpaes so hopefully they'll be well behaved. I do have the 40gB if they don't work out tho.

Kiara: That's my tank way back when[May/June? lol!]...tons of rocks in there! lol And you need a 29gal! Get all those fish between the 2 10's in a bigger place[and the guppies/platies] and then you have the 2.5gal for VT betta, 1 10 for a dragon HMPK, 1 10 for a fully finned HM and then the 29gal for a betta girl in the community... :p [[sorry! I'm such a betta addict! *BOUNCINGS ]]

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
lol Thyra! Ok...let's see...

xD - XD = BIG cheesy smile like something is funny but funnier then just the plain lol
DX-Dx = AHHHHHH!!!! Kinda "I HATE IT!!!" type reaction
O.O or o_O is like WOW...either in a good way or bad way[assess the situation :p ]
o.o is like meh, kinda eye opening but not as much as the others...maybe just enough to grab your attention?
xP - XP is like the cheesy BIG smile crossed with :p

I can't think of any others and that's the way I think of them...it's like the emoticons without and actual ":)"

Anyways, I think I'll have 5 or 7 serpaes so hopefully they'll be well behaved. I do have the 40gB if they don't work out tho.

Kiara: That's my tank way back when[May/June? lol!]...tons of rocks in there! lol And you need a 29gal! Get all those fish between the 2 10's in a bigger place[and the guppies/platies] and then you have the 2.5gal for VT betta, 1 10 for a dragon HMPK, 1 10 for a fully finned HM and then the 29gal for a betta girl in the community... :p [[sorry! I'm such a betta addict! *BOUNCINGS ]]
The cryptic code is broken!!!! LOL! I never knew what those meant either??
I have been kicking around the idea of another planted tank, I even have drift wood I have salvaged out of the creek in my back forty a while back. I get so busy with my other tank projects that it gets the back burner all the time.

Apr 14, 2008
I vote you should go for it!

I don't like messing with co2, to be honest because there's a chance[even a small one] that something can go wrong and I can gas out my fish so all my tanks are high light and low tech which takes a balancing act but can be done and IMHO is MUCH easier to care for then a high tech tank.