Kenny's 55gal & 5gHex

Apr 14, 2008
So these are pretty much my last tanks for a while and they need updating.

The 55gal is your typical planted community.

Equipment:
55gal Marineland glass tank w/ Marineland glass lids
GREEN background xD
Odyssea 108W[2x 54W 6500k bulbs] T5HO
SunSun HW-303A canister filter
Driftwood & rocks
[no heater, powerhead, bubble stones or UV sterilizer after slowly removing them last year[tank is doing a million percent better]] - glass thermometer/cucumber holding clownfish

Flora:
Jungle Vals
Argentina/Kleiner Bar/Amazon Swords
Java/Flame Moss
Java Ferns - regular & windelov
Anubias barteri 'nana'
Hornwort
Anacharis
Rotala Rotundifolia
Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'Rose', 'Florida Sunset' & 'Green'

Fauna:
1x fancy goldfish
1x pearl gourami
1x angelfish
1x GBR
1x blood red swordtail
1x bumble bee platy
3x dalmatian mollies
1x guppy
3x zebra danios
1x gold wcmm
5x orange von rio tetras
3x glowlight tetras
1x neon tetra
1x harlequin rasbora
3x gold barbs
2x BN plecos
1x clown pleco
1x featherfin catfish
1x SA bumble bee cat
1x raphael cat
1x SAE
1x dojo loach

This list still needs a bit more work, but no. Before you ask, the goldfish goes nowhere. She's survived all the crap of my 20gH and now THRIVES in the 55gal so no. I'm attached.

5gHex:

Equipment:
Marineland Hex5 kit with Hex5 integrated filter/10W CF lighting w/ stick on thermometer
Dragon & driftwood
No background or heater

Flora:
Guppy grass
Rotala Rotundifolia
Ludwigia Repens x Arcuata[narrow leaf]
Tiger lotus
E. Vesuvius
Dwarf Hairgrass
Dwarf Sag
Java Moss

Fauna:
Okami, pineapple VT WalMart sympathy buy
& ~10 red cherry shrimp

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Ok, so I am in love with your awesome driftwood.

That green background looks neat - haven't seen a solid green one before. It makes it look like it is chock full of plants.

Can't find your rescued betta.

Apr 14, 2008
Capslock: I'm glad you like the DW! It took me about a year to collect it & get it usable. xD Totally worth it, tho. The green background is also ... an oddity. But I like the look, surprisingly. I tried a black one and it made the tank look INSANELY small and just blah.

About Okami, here he is!

He's in the hex, but in that pic, he was in a temporary tank before everything got situated. I'm soooo heavily debating asking my mom to take him tho & taking back my mustard gas HM, Peacock. Either one is fine, tho.

Freshy: Typical temperatures are around 76 degrees until we get a cold front[it can drop, albeit slowly to 65] or in the summer where it maxes out at about 80-82 degrees, most. Since I live in FL, it's not that bad. Definitely lost less fish[none] then when the heaters did fail the ONE time it got beyond cold[18 degrees in 2010] & they didn't come on or the time the reef's heater got stuck & cooked everything.

Apr 14, 2008
Past a year later, I wanna kick start the thread again ...

A lot has changed with the tank ... additions, subtractions, etc.

And 6 months ago this is what we left my mom with[she keeps fish and didn't mind picking up my few]:

Now, on the 28th, I'll be going home and seeing it again. I'm not sure what to expect. One of those goldfish and my featherfin catfish got stuck into the vallisneria and died. Also, all my bettas but 2[that my mom took] from my divided 20gL died while I was gone[most were rescues just clinging to life in their cups so it's not too much of a shock, it just sucks.] when I'm done buying new technology that you know I don't need[xD] I'm probably gonna redo my 5gHex and acquire a new pretty betta that's actually not sick from the get-go. Yellows[and HMDTPKs] are my favorites but I'm gonna choose one with my GF so I'm not actually set on anything specific ... just whatever seems like it needs a good home.

Apr 14, 2008
I really hope so... I don't wanna go too crazy anymore... Things have calmed down so much for me and I don't want a thousand responsibilities again... There's my job if I can keep it (ie stop being sick) and school which I'm really looking forward to so between the cats, dog, turtle, gecko and probable 3 aquariums... Yeahhhh... XD although... I do wonder what it'd be like to buy another dragon decoration and acquire some driftwood for the 20gL and keep that instead of the 5?

Apr 14, 2008
Right? It'd be so much easier ... I guess there's the con of it being more empty though ... My pets are more of my friends and family then what most people care to be.

Apr 14, 2008
Soooo ... After we got back, I went ahead and cleaned the 55gal some. I put all 10 little fish in the 40gB and put the plants from the 20gL in here[and redid that tank for my turtle] so here's what we've got now:

I'm going to do another water change soon. Honestly, the tannins annoy the crap outta me.

Apr 14, 2008
Here's a newer picture:

The tank is looking good in my opinion ... but I'm still wondering about reclaiming my fish from IN. The catfish wouldn't be wise[they'd probably destroy the bags] but the angelfish & 2 goldies I wouldn't mind having back so I guess we'll see what happens.