Kenny's 20gL, shrimp10, 5.5gal, & 2.5gal

Apr 14, 2008
So here we go...another thread for the rest of my smaller tanks for the time being. :p

the 20gL

BLAH! lol 1 word describe it's current look. Thanks to the duckweed, most of the lower leaves of the hygros have fallen off, rotala has fought to grow faster then it so it needs to be trimmed, etc. No biggie, but it needs it. Duckweed is going to Kiara and then I'm DONE with it...tank's light could also use a new bulb at this point...

This is the general look with the grass plants and 2-3 swords put in the 55gal -- oh and it's got 2 skulls now:

Fauna: Azazel, a gold HM M betta & Mubarak a calico/galaxy M BN pleco
Flora: hygrophila polysperma/polysperma 'rosanervig', rotala rotundifolia, E. tenellus, ozelot sword, duckweed, Amazon frogbit[want it, Kiara?] and floating fern

shrimp10 needs a major java moss trimming but here's it's general look:

Fauna: 20+ Red Cherry Shrimp & countless microramshorn/pond/Malaysian trumpet snails
Flora: Duckweed, floating fern, java/flame/taiwan/christmas moss, anubias barteri 'nana', crypt wendtii 'rose', 'green', & 'Florida sunset', & java ferns[regular and 'windelov']

5.5gal just needs some hornwort removed and a pretty good gravel vac...it looks almost like this except with Lokki instead of Osiris:

Fauna: Lokki, a platinum/orange dalmatian mix M VT betta & countless microramshorn/pond/Malaysian trumpet snails
Flora: elodea ... something, some random red tiger lotus, Amazon frogbit, & hornwort

2.5gal has grown a lot...besides a quick WC and scrubbing the sides of the tank, nothing really needs to be done:

Fauna: Arc, red copper dragon M HMPK & Malaysian trumpet snails
Flora: red root floater, duckweed, microsword, & dwarf hairgrass

Watch for updates! *twirlysmi

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2011
underwater
Love your tanks! What kind of light do you use for the 20gL?

So far this is what I have in my 20gL:
1 GBR (I plan on getting 1 more)
1 Rubber Lip Pleco
5 Rummy Nose Tetras
3 Silver Hatchetfish
4 Endler's Livebearers (I am going to move them to my microrasbora tank)
1 Otocinclus (Maybe 2 more)

So, the total number of fish in my tank that I will have is: 14 fish. Maybe I'll add 3 more rummies so they'll feel more comfortable to eat and I'll have more dither fish for my GBRs. Also, my female GBR has been showing that red belly, more blue speckles, and an odd shade of purple towards the lower half of her body, so I suspect she is ready to breed. In that case I want to raise some GBRs and hopefully sell them to good homes :D

Apr 14, 2008
Thanks! I love them too when they are clean!! lol

The 20gL has a 24" 15W 9325k[GE bulb] T8 light. It's FAR from good[for the plants I want overall, anyways]...but a 20gL isn't that deep so it works! :D

I like that stocking list! None of those fish are massive so it definitely works. Just be sure to have a cover over the tank[mine has a glass lid as do most of my tanks] because the hatches are BIG time jumpers. I'm still toying with ideas as to what to get in here. I drool over threadfins, but my 55gal has a sulawesi ricefish which would probably school with them[so it'd be better to have them in there and they'd pop better under that light anyways]. Want guppies but they have to be QT'ed and then it's iffy if Azazel will hurt them or vie versa. Want glass catfish - meh, you know why[super sensitive], kuhlis, upside down cats, etc. lol

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
I'll take anything that you give me, lol. The only thing is that with paypal, do you need a back account or a credit card?? I know it says that I do, but I don't have either. Could I set up a bank account on my own, even though I'm under 18?? In only 2 yrs off so... I want ma PLANTS!! XD

Apr 14, 2008
xD kk, I'll try to throw a bunch of types in.

And yes, you need a bank account for paypal. IDK about starting one. You'll wanna talk to your parents about that.

BUT...I'm thinking I'm just gonna be nice and cover it for you so you don't have to worry about it. I've gots some $! xD

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
AW!!! Thank you!! Your so nice!! My lfs has 1 bushle of hornwort and it's in a pirahna tank. He said I can have it for free if zI got it. Uh, no. You haven't fed them yet and they're twice the size of my hand. NO THANK YOU!!

Apr 14, 2008
ROFL @ the piranha tank!

I thought they were just menacing to look at but pretty docile otherwise? In fact, more skittish then even bold? lol

My clownfish bit me last night the second I was pulling my arm out of the water after doing a WC and it hurt for how little of a fish she is! lol Granted, she and all clownfish have teeth and everything and it wasn't that bad but it's still a shock when a fish "attacks" you. :rolleyes:

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
lol my female betta bit me once and it made me jump and scream. I started laughing cuz it was a crazy thing to get scared at lol!! I can stick my hand in the tank with my platies and guppies and they swim up to me and nibble on my fingers. They especially like my palm and my knuckles lol.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
AW!!! Thank you!! Your so nice!! My lfs has 1 bushle of hornwort and it's in a pirahna tank. He said I can have it for free if zI got it. Uh, no. You haven't fed them yet and they're twice the size of my hand. NO THANK YOU!!
Get one of these! I've seen them a lot cheaper for like $3 though.

31FLemkIe3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Amazon.com: Pikstik Classic Reacher Grabber Aquarium Blue - 26 Inch - PikStik #A-262: Health & Personal Care

Kenny, I'm actually liking the "blah" 20gL... they always look nicer in pictures though :p and I'm really diggin' Arc! Gorgeous betta.

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
Thanks! I love them too when they are clean!! lol

The 20gL has a 24" 15W 9325k[GE bulb] T8 light. It's FAR from good[for the plants I want overall, anyways]...but a 20gL isn't that deep so it works! :D

I like that stocking list! None of those fish are massive so it definitely works. Just be sure to have a cover over the tank[mine has a glass lid as do most of my tanks] because the hatches are BIG time jumpers. I'm still toying with ideas as to what to get in here. I drool over threadfins, but my 55gal has a sulawesi ricefish which would probably school with them[so it'd be better to have them in there and they'd pop better under that light anyways]. Want guppies but they have to be QT'ed and then it's iffy if Azazel will hurt them or vie versa. Want glass catfish - meh, you know why[super sensitive], kuhlis, upside down cats, etc. lol
If you want glass cats, get glass cats. I've heard something along the lines of, "Ram cichlids are delicate fish that are extremely sensitive to nitrate." Still, I bought a ram about 3 months ago in a nearly overstocked 10G, occasionally forgot to do PWCs, and it still lives to this day, although I moved it to the 20gL yesterday. My point is that fish tend to be hardier than people say. Those people usually just get a bad fish or something. :)

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
lol Val and KM. I'm so estatic though!!! I was at my lfs today (although I woke up late and didn't feel like going, but boy am I glad I did!!) I helped 5 customers with their tanks aand fish and the manger finally offered me a JOB!! It's part time (the only thing he offers and the only thing I can do) but another employee thought that I was in college by the way that I was talking about the biological (states, topics, idk) about aquariums lol. I told him that I still had 2 years to go to go to college and he flipped. he said that I should be taken out of school and go straight to Indiana University. XD I'M SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
If I can give you hints, this is what I look for in my employees. Maybe not in this order. Being on time and ready to go when punched in, staying busy with business and not gossip type talk while they should be working, keeping thing clean even if you didn't do it, taking action when you see something that needs attention, being honest, respectfulness, accepting responsibility for things you have done, self motivation, making sure the customer help is very important, and a lot of common sense. These are the things that I expect to see daily in my employees.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Right on Kerry, As Director of Nursing I was in charge of hiring. Tardiness and calling in sick were biggies. I could write a book on excuses I have heard. Another important thing too is being able to get along with other employees. Teamwork is important and every once in a while I would get one that thought they could "run the show" and all it did was build up resentment among the troops. Your job history follows you.

Apr 14, 2008
Congrats on the job, Kiara! Best of luck to you! I hope it goes great and is a fun job! :) And it seems like you are ALWAYS at the fish store! xD

FT: I just use whatever substrate I have laying around. Dirt, Eco-Complete, Flourite, etc. are good types of substrate for plants, but my tanks don't focus on the plants. I like the fish wayyyyy more. :p I'm very glad your ram is living, BTW. They are pretty sensitive things, but occasionally, you can find a fish that is tough as nails! *BOUNCINGS I'm still pondering if I want the glass cats overall cuz just because I want something, doesn't make it the best idea to get. :p

Val: You wouldn't like the tank as it sits. lol

It's a mess:

Speaking of, WTH did this moss come from?! lol

IDK if it's flame or java or Taiwan or Christmas...but it's something easy to survive[and thrive cuz it's big time attached to the wood] in these LOOOWWWW light conditions.

Last edited:

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Right on Kerry, As Director of Nursing I was in charge of hiring. Tardiness and calling in sick were biggies. I could write a book on excuses I have heard. Another important thing too is being able to get along with other employees. Teamwork is important and every once in a while I would get one that thought they could "run the show" and all it did was build up resentment among the troops. Your job history follows you.
My wife is in her 4th level nursing right now, only two more semesters to go. After that she wants to work for a year or two to get whatever she needs (I guess there is certain experience or something???) to go back to school for her nurse practitioner deal.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Yup, thanks for the advice guys. I am ALWAYS at the fish store lol. I only go to do what I enjoy most and to get away from life. Not walk out the door and have three 14 year olds call me an ugly f***tard. I bit my tongue and moved on. 5 minutes later they were back and following me, making snide comments the whole time. Finally, I had enough. I turned around told them off and threw a "knife" at them. It was a shiny metal piece on a Penn Plax Aqua Nursery that I bought yesterday. A piece fell out and stayed in my bag. They ran screaming and it was hilarious!! I still don't like them though. *glare*

*sigh* why me?? A lot of people think that, but I have great friends and just a few idiots that don't like me at school. But why is it that some people are such low-lifes that have to diss other people just to feel superior?? Are they that unloved or are they just *******s (not saying but it's two words combined, starts with a and ends in k [s to make it plural]) that don't give a s*** about life and the people living here?? I'm sorry for my language but all of these people need to burn in Hell. Oh, nevermind. They deserve something FAR WORSE. They need to be locked in a dungeon and every full moon be tortured to the brink of death, but they don't die. They are spared to have that done the next full moon and for the rest of eternity!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!! DX