Kenny's 1.5gal Cube - Ideas?

Apr 14, 2008
My parents bought me a 1.5gal Aquarium for my birthday and I got to thinking. What about doing fish other then GloFish [Fluorescent Zebra Danios that are still kinda Zippy and maybe to fast for a 1.5?].

So, I want ideas. How should I scape this sucker? SHOULD I stick to fake plants or should I got live? Should I add a heater and go Nano-Fish? Any ideas? Thanks!

P.S. don't say only a betta. They aren't the only fish that can live in here. My betta, Pumpkin, is enjoying a nice, comfy, 5.5gal planted tank! :)

Apr 14, 2008
Nano-fish? 0_0

sounds like it can be a shrimp tank...not much else.
Nano-fish are like Micro-Rasboras, etc. I would have to order them from...HERE.

Shrimp sound good, I'll go Blue Pearls after the tank finishes cycling. :)

#1 - african dwarf frog, a couple snails and maybe a shrimp or 2.
#2 - oh and definitely go live plants!
I was thinking ADF's...but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be happy in here. Still, I'm buying a pair for my 5.5 [I think]. :) The Snails also sound good...just the usual 3 from my other aquariums, Pond, MTS, & Various Ramshorns.

Ok...Live plants it is! :)

----

I'm thinking I should put my Endlers in here since they are the only other creature besides roaches that can survive a Nuclear War. LOL

Still, Another fish that would be cool is a blue neon goby in that site I posted in a few spots up. They are FW specific! :)

Apr 14, 2008
I'm pretty sure I have it figured out.

I have 10 Endlers in here [3 females, all 1/2 size...keeping 50% WC's up] until I can get the 20gH riparium going, and then probably the Blue Pearl Shrimp, Regular Snails [can't avoid since all my tanks share equipment since I'm too lazy/poor to get individual equipment!], and probably a few different nerite snails.

Thanks for the Nerite idea, I forgot I wanted them! :)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I'm actually going to do a shrimp tank as well in my 2.5 gallon. The cal black worms crashed today..

So maybe we can share some ideas?

Since i have regular black gravel and not live plant substrate, then im thinking of mostly going with moss for the live plants.
Persoanlly i was thinking of a christmass moss wall for background, and a christmas moss carpet for the foreground. also i was thinking of putting some christmas moss on long peices of driftwood and put them vertically against the back two edges, as to "frame" the moss wall.

Dont' know but thats just my idea for the cherry shrimp that i plan on putting into the tank.
I also have big gold apple snail in there...wonder if that would eat any baby shrimps if my shrimps breed? any ideas on that?
Over all, kenny do you approve of snails (small or large) being in a shrimp tank?

Apr 14, 2008
Crashed? So sorry to hear that!

I think snails and shrimp get along perfectly! My golden mystery snail and ghost shrimp [which are much more "grabby" then other shrimp], got along GREAT! As did the 1000000000000000's of MTS/pond snails, I'm having to slowly pick out in order to tear down that 10gal in preparation of the new spot/stand, etc.

I'm just using inert gravel in here and hoping that does well as it always has before!

Moss as the predominate plant sounds really good as that was always my favorite plant in low-tech tanks! Still, if you can do it, go with other plants such as crypts[for little tanks, I like Parva & Petchii!!], Micro-Sword, Chain Sword, etc. as well. You need interest other wise, like me, you'll tear it down and start over! LOL

For this tank, my mom bought me a neon cave, so that'll be the hardscape. I think it'd look sweet with some moss growing on it and a 10W CF bulb hangin' over the tank with the built in light serving as a moon light. Soooo many possibilities!! :)

Nemo'sMom

Small Fish
Oct 27, 2009
I've been thinking of doing something with my 3g too. I figure my options are going to be pretty close to what you guys are talking about. How big do the ghost shrimp get? I saw some at a LFS and they are tiny (< 1/2"). I've never had anything but goldfish and bettas so this will be a baby step out into the rest of the fish world :)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
ghost shrimp can grow to 1.5 inches, similar to crystal reds and cherry shrimp.
I'm biased on cherry shrimp cuz thats the only shrimp i kept. plus they will breed more readily in ordinary tank water, as opposed to something like an amano shrimp that might need brackish water to breed.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
The #1 parameter for keeping shrimp in a tank is to make sure the water is goldfish-free. I know ya'll were expecting me to say copper-free. :p

Ghost shrimp dont need anything special really. keep pH anything from 6.0-7.8
make sure the KH isnt lower than 5 dKH other wise pH swings might happen. they like a good amount of GH in the water (maybe calcium for exoskeleton?) but nothing too high. my cherry shrimp are doing great in 26 dGH water, so you can see that they can adapt well to all sorts of things.

Temps should be kept 72F-80F, i prefer 76F, dont know why.

In a 3 gal with nothing else you can have about 3 ghost shrimp, but they will grow out of it i guess...thats what Aq Advisor says anyway. Cherry shrimp are a better choice cuz you can fit about 5 in there and they'll be cool together. if you can find em, or order them, cherry shrimp are better for smaller tanks.