Just added first fish to new tank

Abu

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
After all the excellent advice i've received here over the last week, i've finally added my first fish in my 19 gallon tank - 6 lovely platys, recommended by the LFS.

I had a slight problem though. Earlier, whilst the tank was still fishless the ammonia and nitrite levels were fine. I bought the fish on the way home from work and tested again before adding the fish. Ammonia was between 0.25 and 0.50 (couldn't quite get the reading right!) and nitrite was at 0.25. I took the plunge and added some Ammo-Lock 2 and introduced the fish about an hour later.

What should i be watching out for now? Should i test for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate daily? Also, will the Ammo-Lock have much of an affect on my testing? I remember someone saying that Ammo-Lock will not affect ammonia tests that use two tablets which is the test i have? Any help would be appreciated?

Thanks
Abu

R

ronrca

A tank full a water will not have levels of ammonia or nitrites unless you add fish, ammonia or food. I cant remember exactly what my test kits measuring table is but .25 NH is low and also NO2 at .25 is low. Ammo-lock works if you have unexpected ammonia spikes that can go up to 5-10ppm. It locks the ammonia and prevents damage occuring to the fish. However, a water change is still a must asap. Since you now have added fish, NH, no2, no3 will rise so yes, you will have to measure.

Kristin

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
 I agree. One good way to tell is if your water gets cloudy. Usually in a new tank this means high ammonia, but may also be caused by a bacteria bloom (which is also bad).
 what kind offilter do you have?