journal of Bigfin and his friends

Feb 27, 2009
they have them way more crowded than this. does this mean walmart(it has a live fish sale and can be compared with the size of a mall), petco, petsmart, and mini critters are bad?
I do not think that the stores you mention keep their fish humanely...but...the tank you see is part of a network of tanks and even larger tanks behind the walls. A bank of ten 20gallon tanks actually has 500 gallons of water all told (two 150 gallon tanks sit on the floor under the tanks you see), so they really have much more water than it seems.

What size tank do you keep these fish in? It looks like, from you pictures, the tank is not on a stand, but is sitting sideways on something? Be careful it doesn't warp and crack the glass. It really needs support across the entire bottom.

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
most petsmarts I go to have their tanks up against a wall. there is a back room behind that wall with the tank system that Cones mentioned...don't know how your stores' designed =/

Keep us updated on this tank :)

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
wow your goldfish are really pretty.

I agree with your wikipedia thing, but honestly if you stop and listen to these people, you can learn stuff. I'm not saying you HAVE to be their slaves and do exactly as they say, but I'm just saying they're giving good advise.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
depend on how long they do it and at what time of day.
most of the DAY go9ldfish should be swimming around energetically looking for food. but yeah they do take naps from time to time.

Chubs

Small Fish
Feb 12, 2010
Victoria B.C.
depend on how long they do it and at what time of day.
most of the DAY go9ldfish should be swimming around energetically looking for food. but yeah they do take naps from time to time.
Ya, it doesn't happen often. Just from time to time I see one of them sitting on the bottom of the tank for a min or so.

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
i reranged the tank yesterday so its clean as a whistle. now the knife has a shady spot, the gouramis have the log to themselves, and the goldfish can nap cofortably
ok, those knife fish reach an adult length of over a foot long, the goldfish you have can reach a foot long in a year.

honestly, if you can't see that the pet stores are only interested in selling you as many fish as they can, there is no help for you.

think about it...if you listen to us, you buy less fish, less medicines (your fish will be healthier), less fish food. If you listen to them, you will have more fish die, you will buy more fish, constantly be buying fish medicines, fish food etc.

once you have a better grasp of what you are doing you can overstock a little by having a water test kit ( not just strips, a real deal kit), knowing the signs of stress (your goldfish aren't "napping", they cant get enough oxygen!), stocking live plants (these help your water if you know how to care for them) and in general not having your head up your ass.

RyanML

Small Fish
Aug 18, 2010
it makes me laugh the whole 2 goldfish to 30g... i have a 4g tank with 2 goldfish and not only have they survived for the last year happily, they have grown alot too.

jamiejay09

Large Fish
Dec 14, 2009
England
Ryan, your fish may be 'Surviving' but as orangecones stated, theres a lot more to it than just keeping them alive.
The 2 goldfish to 30gl is just a guidline to the suitable size tank that goldfish need. You may have kept your alive in a 4gl but are they happy? your aquarium may be lacking in oxygen and toxins from your goldfish waste (and they produce large amounts of waste) will build up in your tank quickly.

There are people on this forum who have been here for a long time and keeping fish for many years now. Our experience is used on this forum to help other people, and that is one of the purposes of a forum.

Jan 22, 2011
if you really want to keep 2 and then re-home all of your other fish. Backlog of a 30-gallon tank only 2 goldfish, but the times of refreshing may successfully manage two goldfish in 30 gallons, so it may be weeks, water testing and changes.