journal of Bigfin and his friends

dusty123

Small Fish
Jan 13, 2010
Sioux falls, South dakota
this is the journal of bigfin and his freinds. a quick intro to his friends and him-bigfin is a humongus goldfish who isn`t good with small fish. betas and smaller he eats.-blade is a small knife fish that makes himself known by even clicking.-gold is an innteligent gold gourami who can say "hi".-big blue is a large blue gourami who loves company.-goldie is a golden alage eater who says whats on the bottom is his.-comet is a wimp and is a white goldfish.-mr. gills/nipper are both goldfishes that are almost exactly alike.-gold and silver is the strangest of them. he was originaly orange but changed to white. but all of his fins are orange except the top whitch has a tiny orange dot. tommarow the journal starts.

fiddlybits

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2010
BC, Canada
Why are you putting tropical fish in with coldwater fish? That's not doing either kind any favors. The big goldfish already belongs in a much bigger tank, and the other goldfishes will soon outgrow the 30-gal tank as well.

Stocking your tank with anything that catches your fancy will shorten the lives of the most-stressed fish. Researching the conditions required for each species should tell you that. Since you have access to the Internet, you have access to the information.

Your big goldfish is doing what comes naturally to him-- eating everything he can. That includes plants and smaller fish. Fancy goldfish (the ones deformed by the whims of breeders) are more delicate and slower, but they are still goldfish.

A healthy goldfish grows faster than the tropicals. I had 2 Comet goldfish in a 10-gal tank. They were just under 1 1/2 inches long. A month later they were about 3 inches.

dusty123

Small Fish
Jan 13, 2010
the big goldfish isn`t just doing what comes naturally, he does what i tell him! i can tell him to go to the other side of the tank, and he does. also, i heard that goldfish and gouramis are a good mix. the only way you can keep a goldfish with a knife is to keep amonia down. alage eater doesn`t have a problem with this.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
In that tank i think 60% weekly water changes with TREATED tap water would be a good way to keep it clean. also gravel vac during water changes...

are you testing your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates every week? or shouldn't I even ask that question lol?

A vid or pics of this tank would be very interesting :)
I'm interested in seeing what exactly we're talking about here.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
okay, that clearly is overstock , even if you manage to keep water extra clean and all by doing more than regular water changes and expensive filter stuff, still the fish will be deprived of oxygen no matter what you do and soon one by one will keep dying or have stunt growth ec. its not a happy fish tank. I hope you manage to reduce some of them by giving/selling.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
if you want to REALLY keep 2 then re-home ALL of your other fish. a 30 gal tank is overstocked with just 2 goldfish, but anshu successfully manages 2 goldfish in a 30 gal, so it's possible with weekly water tests and changes.

dusty123

Small Fish
Jan 13, 2010
mabe i'll just keep all of them.
one reason is that all the pet store owners around here would say its not overstocked.they have them way more crowded than this. does this mean walmart(it has a live fish sale and can be compared with the size of a mall), petco, petsmart, and mini critters are bad?
second reason is that only god knows who you are. i can't trust all the info online-like wikipedia-because anyone can add to it. how do i know this is not fake?