Jerk Fish

I have a black moor goldfish about 3 1/2 inches long that is a total jerk. He chases the other fish around the tank, when they get fed he tries to chase them away from the pellets and he just harrasses the whole tank on a regular basis.

I realize that in any group of animals, one is going to be dominant, but he's just a pain! I had a calico oranda that would actually stand up to him, but I had an ammonia spike and that fish died.

He's the largest fish in 33 gallon cube tank. I have a 3 inch panda oranda and a 3 inch pearlscale in the same tank along with four snails. He seems to pick on the pearlscale the most since that fish can't out-swim him. Temp is about 74 degrees.

Is there any way to dial down his agression other than a date with the porcelain throne?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
I would hope you would not flush a fish...

That being said, 33 gallons is too small for 3 goldfish. Until an upgrade to a larger tank at least twice the volume takes place, they will likely continue to have aggression issues.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; One trick that very seldom works with an aggressive fish is to take the aggressive one out of the community tank for a few days or weeks if you have a suitable place or spare tank. After a time put it back into the tank. The notion is that it will be the new guy and the aggression might be toned down. It has rarely worked, but it has worked.

With fish that hold territories you can rearrange the structure and force them to set up new territories.

Add a lot of floating plants or more dense rooted plants or structure so that the picked on fish have lots of hiding places.

Drop food in two or three different places in the tank at the same time.

Set up another tank and try different population combinations.

Most likely will continue to be aggressive in any case.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Are the Pearlscale and Oranda getting along together?? If you have to, sell the aggressive fish to the pet store. They'll give you quite a lot if he's a biggy. But since he's 3 inches, though, they'll only give you about $2-$3. It's better than flushing him live. It's a cruel way to die. Not only are you trapped in a vortex, but you can't breathe from the water conditions. He'd probably die from lack of oxygen or stress from being knocked around. He could possibly break a few bones on the way down to. Sell him if you have to, don't let the poor thing die. If I had my tank set up, I'd buy him. You don't live too far from me.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Yep, I think it's ridiculous how there's a tiny goldfish that's $2 and another goldfish (the same breed) just a little older and bigger and being sold for $25. What the heck, man!!

The good news is I've only had him a couple of months and he's already doubled in size so hopefully in another month or two I can actually get some cashola for him. I'm keeping an eye out for cheap tanks on craigslist so he might get solitary confinement if I can find a good one. There's one on the lafayette/west lafayette craiglist right now for only $20 but I'm flat broke until payday.

If you're into saltwater, someone is selling 60 lb of crushed coral and two live rocks for $150.

Tooj

Medium Fish
Apr 9, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
i have a few white clouds in a tank. theres a few things ive noticed...for sure theres a alpha male. he patrols the tank and keeps the other ones in their place. Ive noticed that feeding him a little more dialed down his aggression quite a bit. (feeding to the point where they wont eat anymore) - not that id recommend doing that every day. Ive also noticed that turning the tank light off makes him less aggressive as well (in a planted tank some people leave the tank lights on most of the day). Also, rearranging the plants will break up the established territories, but that one fish ALWAYS comes out on top - this just leads to a step up in aggression for a short time while the other fish are put in their place

kb951

Medium Fish
Mar 11, 2011
United States
Well your top fish should not be like that and that can cause alot of stress to all your fish if he is picking on all of them, you need the top fish to put them in there place but not be a bully like that one, i would get a bigger fish instead of flushing him, if worse come's to worst i would not flush him, just take him to your lfs they would be more than happy to take your bully off your hand's *PEACE!*

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
I'm not into salt water, but thanks. I have a guy that's willing to give me a FREE 30 gallon tank with hood and lights for a batch of my Black Tiger Platies. lolz!! Itz so awesomez!!

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Haha!! It all in the genetics. Seriously though, I just got lucky. I was thinking "Aww!! How cute!! (picture from internet of Tiger Platy) I want one so bad!!" First batch of fry, "Is that a Tiger Platy?? Yes!!!!!" I was completely surprised and I was so extremely happy.