it just wasn't meant to be..and updates on my 60!

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Re: it just wasn't meant to be..and updates on my

You can put in baffles in the sump using either glass or plexiglass at home depot to make a compartment for the refugium.  Here are some refugium at

reefcentral.http://www.reefcentral.com/library/refugium.htm

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California

sweet. just what i needed to look at.

i'm still trying to find another source of sand so i don't have to drive to chino hills. hee. but if i have to go..so be it. i'm trying to get ahold of that guy at reef.org but he's not replying to any of my emails. darn.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002

hey dattack and everyone else,

the reef.org guy hasn't responded so i'm just going to forget about him. i got in contact with the guy from chino hills that has southdown for sale. i'm awaiting his phonecall so we can figure out the details. for a 4inch DSB, i'm looking at 2 (50lb a bag) or 3 to be safe?

anyhoo, i decided to create a refugium. i wanted to go with the cpr aquafuge but then i figured the only one i could fit (onto my sump..no room on the main tank) would be the smallest one..which can hold like 2gallons. so after doing more research, this is what i hope to do...let me know what you think..

from the overflow..a pipe would come down and split into two pipes. one would go directly into my sump. the other pipe w/ a ballvalve (to control flowrate) would go into a 5gallon refugium.

the refugium would be set on a ministand so it would be raised higher than the sump. then i would have one hole cut on the side of the refugium with a pipe that's connected to the sump so water would freefall into the sump. and to insure that the refugium doesn't overflow, cut another hole in the refugium (higher than the previous one) that also would have a pipe that flows back to the sump.

a picture similar to what i'm talking about is located here...

http://northernreef.org/images/refugium_plumb.gif

so what do u think.  ???

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002

LOL, I think I responded with the same answer to your other thread but that's pretty much what I did.  It will work, so long as the flow into the refugium is very slow.  
I think you should get 3 bags just in case.  Anyways with the extra live sand you can probably sell it for 1$/lb and make a profit.  Actually the guy in Chino was going to do that with his southdown sand.  Make it live and sell it for more.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002

haha. yeah. i just replied to that thread also. haha.

i just got ahold of the guy. i'm going down there tomorrow morning to pick up 3 bags. i wanted to stop by jeff's exotic fish also to take a look at the liverocks but i'll hold off. i want to get the refugium/plumbing setup before i start it up...but it's so tempting. haha.

thanks for the help. now i gotta go measure everything.  *thumbsupsmiley*