Is this good? OBK

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Okay I have asked this question before but now I am getting serious and need to know if this is right. I am thinking of starting a fish only tank for saltwater. It's going to be a ten gallon. Yes that's small but it's all I can do right now. Here is what I want. I want to get live rock and a pair of percula clowns along with a cleaner shrimp. I already have some sand from a beach in Florida that I brought home with me for this. Do you think that will be okay? And I am going to have a 15 watt bulb on it. Also I am going to get a protein skimmer and that will be all for the filtration. Does that sound okay? Thanks. ;D

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
Re: Is this good?

I don't know much about SW but, i'll try

I don't know about the pair of clowns you might want to narrow it down to one............here is how i see the stocking level is LxW then divide by 72 and that is how many inces youi can put in there..........but, if the clowns are small and you plan to get them to a bigger tank i guess it would be okay

I guess the sand would work only if you clean it quite a bit.............

Filtration sounds good but, you might want a power filter or a power head in there for movement.

IT sounds pretty good so go for it  :)

P.S U might want to Ask OBK for more Info
            Best of luck,

Daniel

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky

Well the pair of percula clowns was suggested to me by OBK so I am pretty sure they will work fine. And he said that a protein skimmer would be sufficeint filtration too. As for the sand it came straight from the ocean floor by some of the coolest scuba spots I've ever been around. So I think it is pretty clean but I am still not sure on it. ;D OBK will eventually see this so I will wait for him. ;D

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002

[quote author=cowboydude link=board=saltwater&num=996761896&start=0#2 date=08/05/01 at 14:54:06]
Well the pair of percula clowns was suggested to me by OBK so I am pretty sure they will work fine. And he said that a protein skimmer would be sufficeint filtration too. As for the sand it came straight from the ocean floor by some of the coolest scuba spots I've ever been around. So I think it is pretty clean but I am still not sure on it. ;D OBK will eventually see this so I will wait for him. ;D
[/quote]

With the pair of perculas, make sure they are a pair tho, otherwise they will fight. Some stores sell them in pairs, most just have a bunch in a tank. If you can't get a pair, you could "risk" it and buy two. Generally the largest clownfish is the female, and the rest are males/ungendered. When the female dies, the next largest fish becomes female. So you can try, but no guarantees. If you can't, maybe one other small fish should be fine.

The skimmer and live rock are enough for filtration. A powerhead is always welcome for circulation, as saltwater is less oxygenated than freshwater, so good gas exchange is a must. If the sand is from the beach in florida, honestly, its no good. If its collected from the site of a reef (not sure if there are reefs close to florida) thats what you want. Beach sand is basically regular o'l silica sand you can buy at home depot, cept from the coast of florida, its likely to be polluted, not good for a tank thats only 10 gallons. As for lighting, 15w bulb meaning incandescent? Its ok, but the fish and everything look a lot better with fluorescent light.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Well I have already threw out the sand. I have kind of run out of money for this tank at the moment due to some unexpected expenses so it will just have to wait. The store with the best sw section does have some "pairs" of percula clowns. They have them together in a tank. They are great looking fish. Thanks for the help I will be sure to do this when I get the money. ;D