Is this enough for cycling?

Abu

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hi, i've had my 18 gallon tank running fishless for 48 hours. The filter has been running constantly and i've had the fluorescent light on most of the time. I've not needed the heater yet, the average tank temp is 82F. There are only plastic plants in there as yet.

Should i just sit and wait now for cycling to start / end? Or is there something else i should be doing as well? Will adding a fish or two help improve cycling, if so what species should i add? Someone recommended a Tetra or a barb?

Abu

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Don't add any fish yet. You should test your water first. Most likely it is not ready to add fish you have to be patient. I would say you probably have at least a week to go.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
[quote author=AquaPsycho link=board=beginner&num=994079580&start=0#1 date=07/02/01 at 08:38:44]
Don't add any fish yet. You should test your water first. Most likely it is not ready to add fish you have to be patient. I would say you probably have at least a week to go.
[/quote]

...a week to go until what ???

Abu

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I think i'll try cycling by adding one or two hardy fish later in the week and probably give the Cycle product a go at the same time.

I've also decided to add a few live plants which i will do tomorrow and buy an ammonia/ph/nitrite testing kit as well. I'll leave things for another 48 hours before adding the first fish for cycling.

Does this all sound ok?

Also, any tips on which hardy fish i should start the cycling process with? I know the Zebra Danio is recommended - but are there any others as well?

Abu

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Here is my opinion on what fish to get for the cycle. If you want fish that are going to for sure make it through and not burn a whole in your pocket if they do happen to die then get feeder goldfish. They are about 20 cents each and two would be sufficient. The are great for cycling and then you can just flush then when your done. ;D I have never used the cycle producy so I don't know about it. What kinda live plants are you going to add? What is your lighting? What is your substrate? BTW since your new I should say that substrate is what you have in the bottom of the tank. I was confused when I first read the word too. ;D

Abu

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
At the moment the substrate is a mixture of different gravels, between 1" to 2" deep. The light source is a 15W Aqua-Glo fluorescent tube.

Abu

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Okay that's not near enough lighting then for live plants. What kinda hood do you have? The plain gravel is fine if you get really hardy plants. I would suggest getting more lighting if you can. What kinda plants were you getting? ;D

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=MaleRubyBarb link=board=beginner&num=994079580&start=0#2 date=07/02/01 at 12:20:10]

...a week to go until what ???
[/quote]

what I meant was that I wouldnt add any fish for at least another week.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Aqua---just wondering where you were going with that. If you are going to cycle with fish , all you need is the temp correct, and make sure the chlorine/chlorimines are out.

So a week is not needed.(but it wont hurt if you like to wait a week ;))

Ryan...er cowboydude-----

Feeder fish should never be recommended, unless you bred them(the feeders).

Feeders are dirty, stressed, often diseased and often come with parasites. They are poorly fed, if at all, and probebly would not be a good choice in my opinion for a cycle.

Her light is  ok for ambulia, elodea, java fern, java moss. I am sure there others.

The product cycle, it claims gives you the bacterias needed to help cycle. Well you need the fish to produce the ammonia to fuel the bacterias.

So you need the fish.....or a source of ammonia, or the cycle wont do a thing.

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=MaleRubyBarb link=board=beginner&num=994079580&start=0#8 date=07/03/01 at 07:34:38]
Aqua---just wondering where you were going with that. If you are going to cycle with fish , all you need is the temp correct, and make sure the chlorine/chlorimines are out.

So a week is not needed.(but it wont hurt if you like to wait a week ;))

Ryan...er cowboydude-----

Feeder fish should never be recommended, unless you bred them(the feeders).

Feeders are dirty, stressed, often diseased and often come with parasites. They are poorly fed, if at all, and probebly would not be a good choice in my opinion for a cycle.

Her light is  ok for ambulia, elodea, java fern, java moss. I am sure there others.

The product cycle, it claims gives you the bacterias needed to help cycle. Well you need the fish to produce the ammonia to fuel the bacterias.

So you need the fish.....or a source of ammonia, or the cycle wont do a thing.
[/quote]

I was talking about a fishless cycle... cuz you guys are always saying how its bad to do a cycle with fishies!!

R

ronrca

GO WITH FISHLESS CYCLING!!!! Most definitly. It is the easiest plus you can add all your fish into the tank unlike 4/month.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/faustus/nicoldaquaria/fishless.htm

O, by the way, it will take longer than 48 hours. It will take much longer than 96 hours. It will most likely take 336 to 672 hours depending if you can get some established media.

Kristin

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
 maybe you should review the nitrogen cycle again in detail, and then you will understand why you have to add ammonia to the tank for at least 4 or 5 weeks if you are going to do a fishless cycle. you can't just let your tank sit- nothing will happen. it is a very complicated thing for someone to try to explain breifly.